• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

rear brake issue

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
so when I first start the truck in the morning or after it has sat for 5-6 hours the rear brakes are very tight. lets say I'm backing out of my parking spot at work and when I go to stop the rear brake almost locks up. I'm assuming it just needs adjusted through the back of the drum. I know how to do this but I don't know which way to turn the dial. Anyone know which way to turn the wheel inside the drum to relieve pressure??

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
With rubber plug removed you should see the Star Wheel's teeth
Moving teeth Down will loosen, Up will tighten

Same on both sides, threads are reversed between drivers and passenger sides, which is why you never want to mix those up when doing rear brakes, lol.

To loosen you should also have to use a smaller screw driver to push back the locking arm on the drum side of the star wheel.

Many with automatic transmissions don't use the Parking brake, the parking brake adjusts the rear shoes.
So you can loosen both shoes then pump parking brake a few times(hold out release handle) and that should reset them to correct distance from drums.

In cold weather rear brakes(drum brakes in general) can freeze, this will make them "grabby" until used a few times and they warm up.

Parking Brake cables can also get water inside and then freeze in place, so won't release rear brakes until water inside thaws out

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I don't think backing off on the brakes will solve your problem. First of all, the brake adjusters will probably just move it back to where it was. Second, that tendency to lock up is probably due to the flash rust that is forming on the drum inner surface when sitting a while. This is usually more noticeable when the air is moist or it is raining. I have just learned to be easy on the brakes the first few stops until they get back to normal.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah I like the first answer better. For the second responder, the truck doesn't sit that long for rust to start building up. This can happen within a few hours after driving. To me it seems more like the brakes have been adjusted too tight. I am going the first route and going to adjust them and maybe try the e brake trick. I know rust can build quickly but that response seems wrong. I could see it if this was new shiny metal but we are talking about drum brakes on a 1999.

Yettiyell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I agree with gw33gp. I had a 99 ranger with 3.0l every single day that humidity was high, it rained, or it snowed my rear drums would lock up and would continue to be extremely touchy for about a mile before they would free up. The age of the truck won't make a difference on how the drums rust over. And it doesnt take long. If you think about it hot drums with water on them will evaporate the water and steam on metal makes rust very quickly with changing temperatures.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals