• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need quick axle answer!!!

BroncoRick

Reaction score
I have a 94 Ranger 2.3 that ended up with a 7.5 instead of the 8.8.:mad:

The driver axle shaft is bent and I thought that it had the 8.8 until I had already called and found one then looked at the tag!:mad::mad::mad:
(I should have figured that the 4 banger had the 7.5)

Anyway,

Do the 7.5 axles from an older (83-92) fit the later 7.5 rear ends?

I am not sure that they are the same width is the only reason for my question. That and now I need to find another axle tomorrow!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
No, but '93-current 8.8 axleshafts will also fit your '94 7.5, they are both 28 spline (earlier axles are narrower however).

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
yes and make sure you get the correct side either passenger or driverside because they are different lengths, but as 4x4junkie said you can use the 28-spline ranger 8.8 axleshaft in your 7.5.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
yes and make sure you get the correct side either passenger or driverside because they are different lengths,
Oh yeah oops forgot that part lol:D

BroncoRick

Reaction score
I know about the length difference but was unsure of the overall width difference between the newer and older housings. I believe that the passenger side can also be used to convert mustangs to 5 lug.(might be the other side though!)

I was looking at parts online and they list the 7.5 at 1.2in and the 8.8 at 1.3 in.

Is the difference in size 28 vs. 31 spline axles? Are the seals and bearings the same size? ( I just looked and they list them as different part numbers, hmmm)

I will look for a 28 spline 8.8 first thing in the morning. I don't want to take the old one out and not have one to put back in but I want to make sure that I get the right one. That might be a lot of gear lube!:rolleyes:

I'll have to call back in the morning and make sure the one I found is 28 spline.

I see that Summit sells a Superior axle for $82 but I have to wait 3 weeks for it to ship. I always love a reason to go over there!! They are the only one that list a 28 spline 8.8 shaft online so far.

Thanks for the quick reply!!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
As long as its a '93up Ranger axle (EXCEPT for the Torsen-equipped FX4 models, which are 31 spline), it'll fit your '94 axle.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals