• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

tom morana engines

muzzlestuffer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
any body ever use this guy's product's i am looking into possibly a 4.0 long block stroker from this company which brings it to a 4.3 which he says i would pick up 40 hp but i am waiting to see what he say's the total specs are for all the improvements he has listed for this motor he lists 3 different head packages pistons cams and the stroker kit or he will put together a long or short block but i have not heard back from him on the final hp and torque and my big question is what can you really get any real hp and torque with the stock ecm ? any thoughts? i know what a lot of people are going to say just put a 5.0 in but i'm really curious what can be done with this motor. thanks

muzzlestuffer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well i spoke to tom yesterday and he say's i would get 300 hp with his 4.3 stroker with the his heads and other parts with the stock ecm but will have to run premium gas but at a steep cost of 8500.00 any thoughts? not sure if i should just go with a 302 or 396 but i like the idea of taking one out and bolting one in.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
Dude just throw a 302 in you can 500+ HP for a fraction.of the cost. There's a huge aftermarket for 302s and an explorer swap isn't that hard. If its 2wd throw a t5 from a mustang and do nasty burnouts

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Plus V8s run so much better than sixes

muzzlestuffer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yeah iv'e thought about all of that 302's are simple but the original motor is pretty simple too trust me i get it and have a lot of thinking to do on this one. don't forget if i get over 300 hp i will have to change out the tranny as well but can modify my a4ld to handle the 300 hp i would get from this rebuild. thanks for the advise!!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
$8500 for a 300 HP V6? Not worth it. $8500 put into a V8 swap will net you at least 500, and money for lunch. Heck, my whole truck isn't worth half that.

Also, I doubt the A4LD will every reliably handle that power.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
No way I'd pay 8500 for a V6 when a V8 is this cheap!

Buy a exploder as a donor then buy a reman long block, swap everything over and you'll be runnin in no time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muzzlestuffer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yeah i'm hearing you guy's for sure! i don't think my truck would take the 500 hp though. i think 300-350 would be plenty without tearing the truck up? i'm leaning towards the 302 even i have to go with a c5 trans. do they make a wiring harness to convert to the 302 ecm ? i haven't looked into it yet.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Everything you need will be in a 5.0l explorer, put an explorer rear axle in and it'll handle 500 HP.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
And the 5.0 explorer will have the harness and ecm and everything, one thing you have to change is one wire location (don't remember exactly but really easy to do). Type in ranger 5.0 swap or look in the tech part of the forum and you'll find it.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Morana's prices are pretty high. You could get the same numbers and save a bunch of cash by doing some of the stuff your self or having a local shop do it.
The head/intake porting would be much cheaper to do yourself or have done locally. You can buy the stroker kit parts from Morana and build the engine yourself if that's what you want. Or invest some of that money into boosting the 4.0.

If it were me, and you didn't love the v8 option, I'd port the heads and intake, get some larger valves, headers, a cam, and boost and call it a day. That setup would be doable for under $3000 and be capable of the same hp/tq numbers as his super pricey stroker engine.

Here's a bunch of performance 4.0 stuff for way less than Morana's prices: http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrains/287552-fs-4-0-ohv-performance-package.html#post2531663

More: http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrains/287230-fs-complete-4-0-ohv-setup.html

Last edited:

muzzlestuffer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yeah thanks i have done some things like headers throttle body chip and so on but you are right on as far as doing things locally but the problem is finding a shop that is capable and willing i looked into doing the heads and called four or five shops and not one said it could be done ? at the time. i have very little faith in the shops around here (phoenix) area unless somebody can recommend someone that would be great!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals