• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2005 Explorer XLT wiring harness part no. for front airbag sensor?

Sweersa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
I have asked this on an explorer forum but have not gotten any replies.

My front airbag sensor for my 2005 Explorer XLT is corroded and broken and needs to be replaced (air bag code 42)

I also have to replace the wiring harness as that is badly corroded too.

I have already acquired the Air Bag Center Sensor & Bracket # 2C5Z-14B006-AA

Can anyone tell me what wiring harness I need?

I ordered a WPT-490 but it was backwards (basically a reflection of what I needed)

The WPT-292 and WPT-1052 both appear to be what I need, but I want to be 100% sure before spending another ~$35 for an oem part.

Here's a few pictures of what I have that's broken. (I already have the more expensive sensor on hand)

Thank you for any help!

Sweersa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
I ordered a WPT-292. I'll update this thread after the repair for anyone interested or having to replace the harness.

Sweersa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
The repair was a success! I cut out the badly corroded wiring harness and wired in the new WPT-292 to replace it and then replaced the bad sensor with a new one. No more code 42.

I hope this thread helps anyone who finds it with a similar issue. It would have been a lot easier to work on by removing the front bumper, but it can be done if you work patiently and carefully around it.

Also, make sure to disconnect the negative terminal on the battery before working on any airbag components, and wait at least a minute before proceeding with the job.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals