• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89 Ranger with no brake lights

Ducman491

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello everyone,
A friend bought his son an 89 Ranger ext cab 2wd 6cyl for his first vehicle and we are having some trouble with the brake lights. The tail lights work as well as the turn signals and reverse lights. There are no hazard lights or brake lights. I tried testing the switch at the brake pedal but there was no power going into the switch and I ran out of time to trace the wire going into the switch.

My question is where does the power come from to supply the brake switch? This poor truck has had the harness hacked up pretty good so this may prove to be a bit challenging.

Thanks

Dangerrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 04
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 s
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Do it right the first time !!!!!!!!!!
First check all the fuses, next hot wire the switch for the brake lights to the battery and then check and see if you have brake lights ,if not trace all the wiring at and below the rear bumper because you may have a ground problem or dirty connection at the trailer wiring. The previous owner may have hacked up the tail light wiring to install non factory trailer wiring. Hope this helps.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Brake light and hazard lights often shared the same fuse, 15 amp, it has power all the time, not key on only power

It will be in cab fuse box, for sure
Try Fuse #1

Yes, because it has power all the time it can blow any time, and especially if Trailer wiring has be butchered, lol

Ducman491

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you gentlemen! I'll let you all know what we find.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals