• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tachometer help, please

Sharkin904

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So my truck is running now, no real problems. 98 Ranger, 00 Expo 5.0...but the tachometer seems to be off. I can't even get on it because the Tach needle dips into the Speedometer and the needles hit lol. Any ideas what could make it read so high? It's a sporttrac cluster, if that makes a difference

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So my truck is running now, no real problems. 98 Ranger, 00 Expo 5.0...but the tachometer seems to be off. I can't even get on it because the Tach needle dips into the Speedometer and the needles hit lol. Any ideas what could make it read so high? It's a sporttrac cluster, if that makes a difference
You need to reset it, a V8 has more hits per rotation than a V6. The info is out there but I don't know where, you might bug SVTRanger if he doesn't pipe up.

Sharkin904

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I was able to find this on another forum..but I'm not sure what plugs he's referring to. (Granted, I havent taken the cluster out to look) but I'm guessing there's plugs that go to the back of that harness?

" Here is the info i used to get mine working from a 4 cyl to a v8 worked perfect.

Regardless of whether an Explorer or Ranger cluster is used, a ground wire will need to be reconfigured for the V8 swap. It is the dash harness that determines how the tach reads, not the cluster. In the case of a 4-cylinder dash harness, it needs a ground wire added for the V8 tach calibration; Rangers originally built with a V6 need the ground wire moved from one cluster connector to another to correct for the V8 firing frequency.

Tachometer ground differences for 4, 6 or 8 cylinders

8-cylinder: "Selector" ground configuration:
pin 8 of the 10-pin: (NOT connected to anything)
pin 16 of the 16-pin: (wired to chassis ground)

6-cylinder: "Selector" ground configuration:
pin 8 of the 10-pin: (wired to chassis ground)
pin 16 of the 16-pin: (NOT connected to anything)

4-cylinder: There is no "Selector" ground
pin 8 of the 10-pin: (NOT connected to anything)
pin 16 of the 16-pin: (NOT connected to anything)

The above should be correct for these RBV's:
1996~2003 Ranger/
1996~2003 2-door Explorer Sport
1996~2001 4-door Explorer
2001~2003 Sport Trac "

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Def time to pull the cluster. There are 3 plugs and you have the info to change the right wire.

Try the wiring change, if the tach still goes crazy, it'll be time to dig deeper.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals