• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1989 WALL-E Ranger Build

jhammel85

Ah no kidding. Yep, my parents live on 295 and i take it on my way to 495.i work in pa.

Sooner or later you'll see that bumper pushed up. Lol

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
hope to build a trans cross member for it today, I gotta see how its gonna work

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
Trying to figure out where to mount the trans cross member, I noticed on the JD site, they cross member looks to use the bolts from the radius arm brackets that hold the heim joints in place... Is that all that holds these??

jhammel85

It might be. Try shooting an email to them, they might get back to you pretty fast unless someone else can vouch on here.

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
also wanna see if anyone has ran these arms?

Do they come with misalignment spacers or are they ran directly on the heim.

I also mounted my rad arms on opposite side upside down it looks like, but it grants more clearance. any issues doing this??

Last edited:

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual

With the spring hung. Talk about droop

i think im gonna have to find a new way to make coil hangers, these worry me with puncturing a tire.

I had to fix the heim long arm brackets, looks like the bozo I bought them off cut them in half. Plus I had to make the one bracket for the pass side. Ill have to get pics tonight.

Tried my hand at 7014 rods, heard good things about em and thought id give them a shot.... wow even when I did quick tacks to hold stuff up and thought it would look like crap... the welds are flawless... Found my new rod for burning stuff in. Only issue is it produces so much molten slag ... I lit my pants on fire twice... Ive never had that issue ever with any other rod.

I had to build heim spacers as the originals did not come with the kit. These keep the heims tight and allow some mis alignment. Ballistic fab has some @4$ each, but then its 6$ in handling and another 7 for shipping... screw that... I bought some galvanized 1" pipe piece thats about 6" long and cut it into the sizes I needed. Done deal.

Need to build my trans cross member tonight. Should be pretty easy..

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual

7014 rod at 119 Amps. Might be a little cold but I was trying to keep the weld small to not interfere with anything. I filled in the other size after I put the fire on the end of my frayed jeans out.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
I noticed the same thing with the 7014 recently. My girlfriends father has a ton of it and the hardware store was closed so I borrowed some. It looks great but a ton of slag. I worry about penetration though because on the boxes in the store it says it doesn't penetrate as deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
I noticed the same thing with the 7014 recently. My girlfriends father has a ton of it and the hardware store was closed so I borrowed some. It looks great but a ton of slag. I worry about penetration though because on the boxes in the store it says it doesn't penetrate as deep.

I believe its good up to about 1/4 or 3/16. If im doing anything larger im doing 7018s. I try to stay away from 6011 unless its all i have left.

on thinner steel, < 3/8 low penetration means nothing haha.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Oh ok so I should be plenty good with 1/4 if I bevel the edges?

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
Oh ok so I should be plenty good with 1/4 if I bevel the edges?

I think with good beveled edges you could make anything hold with multiple passes.

I dont see it being a problem. I did a small bead to use as a tack.. I had to move the bracket after I did it.. Yea good luck I beat it with a hammer a few times to no avail. I dont think I even moved it to where I needed to..

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Lol that's good to know! I'm gonna build a upper track arm bracket tomorrow. I'll be using 7014's for 1/4" plate.
Sorry for thread jacking but I was curious.

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
Lol that's good to know! I'm gonna build a upper track arm bracket tomorrow. I'll be using 7014's for 1/4" plate.
Sorry for thread jacking but I was curious.

Not a problem at all, the more info out there to help people the better I see it.

Post some pics when your done. I have some Ive built if you need an idea.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
No I have a plan. I had the ruff stuff upper bracket but I failed to plate my frame and ripped it off last time I went out. I'm gonna plate the frame with 1/4" then bolt it on this time. I'm gonna use home made large washers to disperse the pressure on the inside also. 6 1/2"x 1.25" grade 8 bolts and I'll be making it wide enough that it won't break in half this time. I'll post a couple pics here tomorrow when I'm done.

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
No I have a plan. I had the ruff stuff upper bracket but I failed to plate my frame and ripped it off last time I went out. I'm gonna plate the frame with 1/4" then bolt it on this time. I'm gonna use home made large washers to disperse the pressure on the inside also. 6 1/2"x 1.25" grade 8 bolts and I'll be making it wide enough that it won't break in half this time. I'll post a couple pics here tomorrow when I'm done.

What your looking to do is called "Fish Plating". It works really well and will make your steering feel tighter. Ill prob end up having to do this soon. We have to do it a lot on 70s full size fords as we rip the frames in half where the box mounts. Check out the "La Bronc" build in my sig. Thats our mud truck we have built. Keep tuned in, this winter its gonna get fun :icon_welder:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals