• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Here is hoping that I am in the right place

cavedweller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Iam considering a 5.0 swap ....I've scoured the conversion pages ,but the question I have was not found by me .....Suppose you don't want to lift your truck ,can the tranny tunnel be cut ,elevated and braced so that you can get to the bell housing bolts ,the tranny itself ,from inside the truck and what is needed to be done to keep or better cab integrity ?...Just brainstorming here.....:beer:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think you can usually still pull the trans like you did stock.

Push comes to shove pull the trans and engine out together. I think that would be easier than redesigning the cab floor worrying about structural integrity.

cavedweller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the response..........My vehicle is a first Gen,1988, 4x4 ,like yours .....Now I may have misunderstood something....Does the bell housing on a v8 stick shift transmission,(can't fathom why),requires more surface area, is more massive, than an auto?...I have a stick now actually brought it new that way ...trying to stay with THAT conveyance mode....Never considered pulling every thing at once BUUUUT...Anyway gotta get some measuring done to get a better view

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It would depend on what you are using, a ZF is probably different than a T5.

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule, it would vary greatly depending on the transmission model. Clutch and TC specs will vary.

My C5 has the bloated V8 C5 bellhousing which looks something like a balloon compared to the normal C4 bellhousing, IIRC it is 1.5" deeper too. So there is two very related transmissions with two very different bells for ya.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals