• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

transmission question

92ranger18

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Stock 302
Transmission
Automatic
This is probably the wrong place for this, but I am planning a project that involves a 3.0 out of a 1992 ranger. I want to build a mid to rear engine rock crawler/bouncer. That being said I'm gonna weld the diff in the front wheel drive transmission and mount it all sideways and the transmission act like a transfer case. Just always 4 wheel drive. I know it works I've seen it on a buggy before. Anyways what I would like to know is will the trans out of a 1992 probe Taurus etc work with my rangers computer, it's an automatic also. I hope you can understand my rambling thoughts.

Transman304

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler PT
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem
I think I know what you are asking as far as using the transaxle as a transfer case. You will not get your electronics to work with a transaxle. What is the pupose of installing sideways?

92ranger18

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Stock 302
Transmission
Automatic
Mounting it sideways so that one axle points forward and the other backwards. If that makes any sense

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
I think I know what you are asking as far as using the transaxle as a transfer case. You will not get your electronics to work with a transaxle. What is the pupose of installing sideways?
It's installed sideways so that the axle shafts that would normally go to the front wheels are now the front and rear driveshafts. This yields a very narrow package for a nice, skinny body to more easily navigate obstacles and maximum room for flex/turning.

Ultimately, you're using the final drive ratio of the transaxle as the transfercase reduction gear. Weld the spider gears up, and it's like any other 4-low transfercase.

I have limited experience with automatics (I assume this is an auto in question), but I'd tend to lean toward Transman304's conclusion, that it's not easily going to work. Normally all that stuff is sourced from one donor vehicle.

BUT, I think that engine did make it into some cars (90's Taurus's?), but I really don't know which ones. Hopefully someone with a little more concrete information will chime in.

Sounds like a fun project!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This is probably the wrong place for this, but I am planning a project that involves a 3.0 out of a 1992 ranger. I want to build a mid to rear engine rock crawler/bouncer. That being said I'm gonna weld the diff in the front wheel drive transmission and mount it all sideways and the transmission act like a transfer case. Just always 4 wheel drive. I know it works I've seen it on a buggy before. Anyways what I would like to know is will the trans out of a 1992 probe Taurus etc work with my rangers computer, it's an automatic also. I hope you can understand my rambling thoughts.
A good site, and maybe for your question too;

http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/index.php

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Wow did I miss some important things when I read this the last time... (auto and Taurus)

If you still need to source the donor transmission, I'd get the whole engine computer harness too. Or (probably better) get a dead engine/trans combo as a whole and basically swap in the good Ranger engine. As long as they're both older 3.0's.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals