• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

FiTech Fuel Injection

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
Was watching spike TV (Engine Power)this morning and they built this mopar motor with this fuel delivery system in it. So me being curious I went to the website to check them out. I was surprised to see just how innovative the product was. Looks like it's only for 4 barrel applications, but the 5.0 people should love it if they want FI without the pain part. I was wondering if anyone has used this before or something similar.http://www.fitechefi.com/

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
TBI revival. Lol

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I haven't used one before, but there are several companies that make that style fuel injection set-up. From what I've read in reviews and individual results, people seem to like them. If I didn't want to keep the electronic distributorless ignition system and 4R70W from my donor explorer, I'd probably have already dropped on a 4bbl intake and one of these units. Who knows, might still happen if I get frustrated enough with the wiring.

TBI revival. Lol
Not sure I'd laugh too much. Comparing these units to a traditional TBI unit is like comparing a lawn mower carb to a Holley or Edelbrock performance carb. Considering that a lot of the factory MPFI engines use batch injection, they aren't that much different than them either.

Sure MPFI has advantages, but not everything has the option of getting MPFI. Almost every old v8 engine you can think of to swap has a 4bbl intake manifold available for it.

Hell I'd drop one of those little 450hp units on my 2.8L if it were still on the road. If I ever put dad's old 390 FE F-100 back on the road it'll be getting one of these style units as well. Both are already wearing 4bbl intakes, but no practical MPFI intakes available for either.

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
Just saw your post. Subscribed to his build so I can hear what he thinks about it after it's installed. I was impressed with the whole system too, technology is astounding nowadays lol.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Neat... not worth it to me though. :dunno:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I haven't used one before, but there are several companies that make that style fuel injection set-up. From what I've read in reviews and individual results, people seem to like them. If I didn't want to keep the electronic distributorless ignition system and 4R70W from my donor explorer, I'd probably have already dropped on a 4bbl intake and one of these units. Who knows, might still happen if I get frustrated enough with the wiring.

Not sure I'd laugh too much. Comparing these units to a traditional TBI unit is like comparing a lawn mower carb to a Holley or Edelbrock performance carb. Considering that a lot of the factory MPFI engines use batch injection, they aren't that much different than them either.

Sure MPFI has advantages, but not everything has the option of getting MPFI. Almost every old v8 engine you can think of to swap has a 4bbl intake manifold available for it.

Hell I'd drop one of those little 450hp units on my 2.8L if it were still on the road. If I ever put dad's old 390 FE F-100 back on the road it'll be getting one of these style units as well. Both are already wearing 4bbl intakes, but no practical MPFI intakes available for either.

you can keep your dis ignition and 4r70w with that system...takes a bit more work and money but very doable.

on edit....

whats your issue with the wiring? and you can adapt mpfi to any old engine with a 4bbl intake......especially with megajolt jr.

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I could and I have considered it. Get an EDIS 8 module, some wiring, a transmission controller, and 4bbl intake (or go Mustang EFI) and I could probably get it on the road quicker. But... I could also save a lot of money, do the same amount of work (maybe less), and use the perfectly capable system that I already have. The latter wins i I can get it done. Considering that I've got about $375 total (after scrapping carcass) into the Explorer donor, I think it's worth a shot. If it works, that's a of money that I can put into other parts of the truck. If it doesn't, I'm only out the time it took to try.

Issue with the wiring is procrastination. I'm using the Explorer's EFI system in an 80s model Ranger, so I need to make the engine harness standalone, already got PATS handled. Prior to last month I had no place to really spread out the wiring and start working on it. Studying wire diagrams with nothing to put my hands on doesn't work too well for me. Now I've got a little work shop to spread the harness out in, just need to finish up some other projects so I can get started on it.

You are correct, it is possible to adapt a 4bbl intake to MPFI. In fact their are several MPFI intakes sold that are exactly that. I figured that people, such as your self, who are up to the challenge of adapting an intake would know what's up and just ignore that statement. It is not in every one's capability to do the job at home and hiring out the work can be cost prohibitive. Even if they think they have the drill bit for the job, don't mean that they have the capability to get it set up right. If the injector angles aren't right and properly aligned with the runner and intake port, you might as well be running a carb or TBI unit.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
aye.

best to open it up and understand it all like you are planning...

holy shit its 3 oclock:icon_surprised:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah... Starting this week, I work 3:30 to midnight for the next 6 weeks. Get home between 1 am and 1:30 am, but can never get right to sleep. I'm just glad that what I posted last night was somewhat understandable.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'll take fords SEFI fuel injection and a Tweecer to tune the engine (if needed), and transmission (Tunable as well) over any throttle body injection. A harness can be bought, modified, or brought over from a donor with the EEC.

But I DIY on a budget....................and get fantastic results.

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
I've not heard of tweecer before and did some reading after viewing the post. Seems like a lot of variables need to be meet and you need a laptop hooked up while driving and tuning to achieve max. Whereas the other is just plug and play and it adjust while you drive which is far simpler for us not non tech people. And it's already 50 state and carb compliant I think. If I tuned motors for a living or for a while tweecer might work. Plus the fitech is self contained component and self adjusting after initial setting which is a bonus if you don't wanna mess with the EEC or if the computers gone.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
One nice thing about TBI (Fitech included) is you can keep the round air filter housing so an older vehicle keeps a period look.

But I am a tightwad and proud of it. :icon_thumby:

I paid $65 for an Explorer intake and an extra $15 for the TB, I don't think injectors, harness and a computer w/tune will run over $700+. :D

Last edited:

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I've not heard of tweecer before and did some reading after viewing the post. Seems like a lot of variables need to be meet and you need a laptop hooked up while driving and tuning to achieve max. Whereas the other is just plug and play and it adjust while you drive which is far simpler for us not non tech people. And it's already 50 state and carb compliant I think. If I tuned motors for a living or for a while tweecer might work. Plus the fitech is self contained component and self adjusting after initial setting which is a bonus if you don't wanna mess with the EEC or if the computers gone.
The Tweecer is not needed unless you have some major power adders. Fords fuel injection engine management will learn and adjust to mild to moderate power adders (thinking head work or performance heads, moderate cam and exhaust).

You may also get a driveway tune from Tweecer to get started and a remote tune to dial it in if necessary without knowing how to tune.:icon_thumby:

With the Tweecer, I have got my performance tune. It goes into Open loop sooner, with less timing (under boost), more fuel, and transmission hitting second a bit later, harder and downshifting earlier for better performance from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st. Then I got an economy tune to go to with the flip of a switch.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals