• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 2.5 4x4 conversion and sas help needed.

rush1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've done a lot of research and I've defiantly used the search function. My problem is this. There isn't much information about doing a 4x4 conversion*sas*on a 98-2000 single cab with a 2.5 and 5 speed. I know that the best choice for a front axle is a d44 out of a wagoneer but I'm not sure which year range I need. Im also considering a d30 from a newer jeep simply for cost. Its going to be driven often and not strictly a toy. I just want it 4x4. I'm also having a hard time deciding how to make it 4wd since they don't make a 4x4 transmission for my engine. I know I could do a motor and trans swap but I kinda want to keep the 4 banger. I also know I can have a 4wd tail shaft put in my Trans but that would make future repairs a nightmare. Would I have enough room to run a divorced tcase like a Dana 300 considering the truck is so short? Sorry for all the stupid questions but I know you guys have some great knowledge to share. Thanks in advance for any help.

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Rare, but a 2.3 4x4 Trans would bolt up. Big issue would probably be speedometer compatibility (gear driven vs electronic).

No clue on the axle queries. Sorry.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
They did make a 4x4 trans that will fit a 2.5, its in 2.3 powered trucks to 1997. I would recommend a jeep dana 30 with radius arm type long arms, that way you avoid running 6 lug wheels on the front. Toyota steering boxes work well for this conversion too. A friend of mine is running a setup like this on a 1998, i believe there is a build thread on here somewhere that goes into great detail on the process

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I am thinking you could look at Wrangler JK (07-16) axels you would have a Dana 44 rear and you can get either a 30 or 44 front depending if the donor is a Sport, sahara or a Rubicon. I know there is a good share of people epulling JK 30's out and dropping after market axels in.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I believe you can run a M50D for a 2.3 and put a 4x4 tail piece and output shaft on it.Which of course comes from a donor.I got a M50D from the guy on E-Bay and you could order one up that way for about $850 your going to have enough to modify changing as little as possible.

rush1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm a little foggy on the 2.3 trans idea. Does this mean I can get a trans from a 97 down 2.3 with a tcase that will bolt to my 2.5? Otherwise I was looking into having the 4wd output shaft installed in my trans and putting a ranger tcase on it. I like the Dana 300 I'm just afraid it will create too much angle with my truck being so short.

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm a little foggy on the 2.3 trans idea. Does this mean I can get a trans from a 97 down 2.3 with a tcase that will bolt to my 2.5? Otherwise I was looking into having the 4wd output shaft installed in my trans and putting a ranger tcase on it. I like the Dana 300 I'm just afraid it will create too much angle with my truck being so short.
The 2.5l is just a stroked 2.3l, the basic blocks are pretty much identical. A 2.3 trans from pre '98 will bolt right up without a problem. Find a 2.3 m5od from an '88-'97 2.3 4x4 and bolt it in. His speedo runs off the rear diff so that shouldn't be a problem at all.

BUT... the 2.3 4x4 trans is hard to come by so it may just be easier for you to take a 3.0l v6 4x4 trans and pull the main shaft & tail housing off and convert your existing trans to 4x4 spec.

rush1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I see now. Converting my trans is what I'm leaning towards at this point. Once I get a 4x4 output shaft and tail section a ranger tcase should bolt right up. I'm sure I'll have to have my driveshaft modified unless a factory 4x4 shaft will fit. I'm not sure if I should go with an electric tcase or manual tho.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
Go with a manual t case the electronic shift ones are known to drop the actuator so then you gotta use a pair of pliers to shift the case

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Converting your existing transmission is rather complicated, but don't let that discourage you, just do a lot of reading on rebuilding M5OD's before you tear into it. Explorer Forum has a really good article on this exact topic.

A Wagoneer D44 would not be my first choice. They are 6 lug, leaf sprung and a lot of them are passenger drop. I assume you are wanting to do coil springs? The D30 option is better, honestly, simply because it shares the same bolt pattern as your truck. The Waggy axle is just not a good option unless you are really good at sourcing parts from multiple vehicles to get exactly what you want.........

The divorced t-case idea is one I hear a lot but again it is really not an ideal solution. Just finding the t-case to begin with is probably going to be tough, then you have to build drivelines, mounting brackets, shifter, etc...and these things have not been in production for 40+ years...so you may end up rebuilding it as well! Just not a good idea, the best option is finding a manual 1354 t-case from a Ranger or Explorer that will bolt right onto your 4x4 converted transmission. Even a 1350 would work if you don't mind the slip yoke front output.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals