• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

is it possible to put a egr in a 92 explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
??????? i have a donor 94 that has a egr and im wondering if i can swap the intake and exhaust manifold over. and if the computer will except it.

idk just a thought

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
You'd need a computer/harness to go with it. The EGR is controlled electronically. Not super complexe. Not as simple as dropping in an EGR engine and having it miraculously work either.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Frankly I wouldn't bother with it if you don't have to. I am all for keeping emissions control devices intact. I also don't see the point in adding more things to potentially break when not needed. If your vehicle came without EGR then the cat should be enough to keep the NOX out of the exhaust.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^^

Computer won't have the software to operate an EGR system and the wiring won't be available in existing harness.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
Frankly I wouldn't bother with it if you don't have to. I am all for keeping emissions control devices intact. I also don't see the point in adding more things to potentially break when not needed. If your vehicle came without EGR then the cat should be enough to keep the NOX out of the exhaust.
Also known as the K.I.S.S. method. Keep It Simple Stupid

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can still use the stuff from your donor. It will run fine, but the EGR will just be along for the ride, and not doing anything. You could also use the donor parts and remove the EGR stuff, and plug the spots in the intake/exhaust manifolds where it's connected.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info. My main concern is my mpg. Its not good. Idk what in town is bit highway is 15 -17. Not great. Starts fine now that I did the fuel pump. But after a decent long drive on start up the motor spits and sputters pretty bad. Sometimes it dies. It will eventually run smooth after running for a lol while.

I know this mpg complaint has another to do with an egr. That was just a thought.

My new parts list consist of, plugs and wires, fpr, fuel pump and sending unit, tps, miscellaneous hoses, o2 sensor, gutted cats.

Can find a vacuum leak so I don't thinks that's it. No check engine light.

Not really knowing where to start.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
4.0's didn't get EGR until the '94 model year, though some californa vehicles got it sooner

I don't have an issue with EGR, but there is a sensor that tells the PCM if it is working correctly, BUT that sensor is notorious for being unreliable...

When I was doing a 4.0 swap I specifically got a '93 Explorer as a donor to avoid the issue...

BTW Ford switched to SEFI at the same time and the cam synchronizers are also unreliable.

The engine computer ALL the on-engine wiring and the fuel injectors are different so adding EGR is much more difficult than it would appear at first glance...

I'd say that whatever your issue EGR/SEFI is NOT the cure... SEFI '94 engines rarely run as well as a NON-SEFI '93...

AD

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thx alland.

im planing on putting the 94 donor in my 86 b2. i hope everything works as planned.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The simple answer for you is to remove the EGR parts and use a 1993 Non-EGR computer

BTW there is much talk of computer part numbers, the ony numbers that matter are the 3 or 4-digit calibration code on the computer... in the case of a 1993 4.0/5sp the code to look for (no joke) "ANY1", 1993 ranger 4.0 5sp same year is typically "ANT1"

Also on swapping in a 4.0 were a 2.9 has been in an '86 or '87 your Tach will work perfectly IF you wire everything correctly...

The 4.0's EDIS6 module has a Tachometer output that will correctly drive a Gen1 2.9 Tach... so don't overcomplicate your 4.0 swap by getting involved in a dashboard swap as well (unless you have the entire 4.0 donor vehicle)

For me the hardest part of the wiring was snaking that ONE PESKY WIRE into the original '87 dash harness to make the Check Engine Light work...

BTW the position for a CEL is there in your instrument cluster is there, but the hole for the bulb socket is unpunched...
So you'll have to make the cutout yourself, I recommend a sharp pointy bladed knife... to cut the hole in the thin
plastic flex circuit a Scalpel or Exact-O Knife with a #11blade is about ideal for this job...

the CEL is absolutely necessary for proper function of the engine management system as the system
literally goes into "Brain fart mode" if it doesn't detect the path to ground through the CEL's little light bulb...

EEC4 must also have a good connection to the BOO (Brake On OFF) switch (aka brake light switch)

Or it does some weird things...(like your girlfriend would do if you gave her PCP and shoved
a hot-pepper up her ass while she was sleeping off Chloroform)

That is to say "utterly unpredictable" but decidedly "unpleasant"

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wow thx. That's good to know. I do have the entire donor car. Anymore info on doing the swap is much needed and appreciated

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals