• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is it possible to convert the push button 4x4 with auto hubs to a manual 4x4 with man

SSSnakeCharmer

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I found a BII for sale that has the M5OD from the factory and has the push button 4x4 with auto lockers. Would it be possible to convert the push button 4x4 with auto lockers to the manual lever engaged 4x4 with manual lockers? Also the BII was manufactured 2/90 does it have the D35? I've seen two different conflicting dates that indicate if it has the D35.. 11/89+ or 11/90+ which is it?

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
The best way to tell on the D35 is to count the bolts on the differential housing. 10=D35 and 12?=D28. Yes I know that sounds backwards....

And converting to manual is pretty common here. You will need to change the entire transfer case though.

Scamp73

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was looking into this as well. Got any good links to such a swap? All I know about this is the manual transfer case for this is also the BW1354 from 1990+ Rangers.

Slammin Sam

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
D35 date is 11/89 By 11/90 Ford was building Exploders.

TEK4x4

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I have an 87 b2 Eb edition that had push button 4wd and auto hubs I switched the Manuel transmission t case hubs and shifted from an 84 I think (been 4 years now) if I remember right the hardest part was getting the linkage that mounts to the transmission and connects the t case shifter and the lever In the cab. I think there are two different lengths that come off the case I just put it in found it needed to be longer and went to the local pick and pull and found one that was diffrent. U will need to pull the carpet back and change the floor plate from a single hole for automatic to the duel hole for the t case lever to come through its a pretty simple swap like I said the linkage can be a pain but it's way nicer for sure. As for hubs I think I pulled the mAnuel hubs and everything behind them to the wheel bearing And did the same with the auto then just put all the Manuel hub parts back on in place of the auto. (Not sure 4 years and two axles later) I hope this helps some I'm not on here much so sorry if I don't get back to u real soon

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals