• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

wiring diagram help

rangerbronco288

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok first let me explain what is going on i have a solid 2.9 motor from an 89 ranger a good fm145 from an 87 ranger an ecc and wiring harness from an 87 and my truck is a 88 ranger stx. I just put the motor ecc and wiring harness in and for the most part everything is good, but on the drivers side of the vehicle lies my problem. Theres about 3 or 4 plugs that are different sooo, I need an accurate wiring diagram for a 1987 ford ranger 2.9L.
I also need a diagram for a 1988 ranger so i can figure out what i have to cut and splice in the old connectors from my original wiring harness.
And being that it is summer im not currently in school or else i would just print it off of alldata but any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

heath

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good luck. I recently did the same thing, but I ended up using a engine harness out of a 88 to match up with everything. I'd seriously recommend getting a harness from a 88, it'll be much easier. Why not use the original?

rangerbronco288

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
because my original one is all chewed up and half the plugs are missing and theres so many bare wires its ridiculous and it just wouldnt be a wise choice to use it

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
because my original one is all chewed up and half the plugs are missing and theres so many bare wires its ridiculous and it just wouldnt be a wise choice to use it
The Helm Inc. vehicle specific wiring diagrams will probably be of great help. Or shop manual. I got a Ford shop manual for my 1993 Tempo and it is VERY informative.

Anything else, you're probably going to get screwed because of wiring color differences.

I hear of some libraries carring some automotive stuff, but my library card is so old that they're updated it twice since then. :)

Ford will make page copies of the Helm booklets, but IMO, you will need the whole thing since it actually tells you what's where. Those little numbers that don't reference anything in Hayes or Clintons manuals do actually mean something :). I'll never buy one of those wastes of paper ever again.

I wish I could help more, I am at work right now, my Helm book for my '88 is at a friend's house, and I am constantly fighting time to get shit done. Take a few pics of what you're having issues with, someone might know, and I might find some time to get the manual within the next few days.

Pete

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Get a Chilton's #8159 manual. It has both diagrams. shady

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals