• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine swap options for an 86 b2 xlt automatic?

Cyrus9586

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Automatic
So I finally took The Crazy Train to the mechanic. Loud loose clunks from tire? Brake pads no problems there. Loud high pitch clacking from engine? Injectors you're fine. Forgot to ask about T case clunk but that was due to the bombshell. Loud low clunk from engine... all 6 rods are knocking...Original Owner who "rebuilt" this engine used as many as the old parts as he could...Including the bearings which didn't have proper spacing... I now officially need a new engine or to have this one rebuilt. I asked about time and was told use 15-50w oil and i'd have between 1 month and 5 years if I can restore oil pressure.

I CANNOT rebuild at home. No space, tools, time to do it myself. So I can have the shop rebuild is for 2500$ total or buy another engine and pay 1000$ for them to install it. I will also shop around for a better price on that.

BUT I told myself if it came to a new engine I might as well see if I can upgrade while I'm at it. Currently it has the standard 2.9l 6 cylinder engine. I want to know what options I have that will take AS LITTLE modification as possible. I basically want to drop the engine in and be done with it if possible since time and money is a factor.

If I am stuck with another 2.9l I will accept that but I wanted to ask about options.

Other updates? Not a one. I haven't been able to do a thing with this b2 due to work and money constraints. Also I didn't notice new posts on my other thread working 2 jobs has been keeping me in a coma on off hours.

Edit: 1987 not 1986... Also 4WD

Last edited:

planeflyer21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm shopping for one of the VW TDI diesels for my engine swap. A few people here have done/are doing them.

Check it out.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
So I finally took The Crazy Train to the mechanic. Loud loose clunks from tire? Brake pads no problems there. Loud high pitch clacking from engine? Injectors you're fine. Forgot to ask about T case clunk but that was due to the bombshell. Loud low clunk from engine... all 6 rods are knocking...Original Owner who "rebuilt" this engine used as many as the old parts as he could...Including the bearings which didn't have proper spacing... I now officially need a new engine or to have this one rebuilt. I asked about time and was told use 15-50w oil and i'd have between 1 month and 5 years if I can restore oil pressure.

I CANNOT rebuild at home. No space, tools, time to do it myself. So I can have the shop rebuild is for 2500$ total or buy another engine and pay 1000$ for them to install it. I will also shop around for a better price on that.

BUT I told myself if it came to a new engine I might as well see if I can upgrade while I'm at it. Currently it has the standard 2.9l 6 cylinder engine. I want to know what options I have that will take AS LITTLE modification as possible. I basically want to drop the engine in and be done with it if possible since time and money is a factor.

If I am stuck with another 2.9l I will accept that but I wanted to ask about options.

Other updates? Not a one. I haven't been able to do a thing with this b2 due to work and money constraints. Also I didn't notice new posts on my other thread working 2 jobs has been keeping me in a coma on off hours.

Edit: 1987 not 1986... Also 4WD
I'd start looking for another used engine, that's a lot of money for a vehicle that old, unless if you really love it and it's not rusted out it may be worth it.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
$2500 installed for a rebuilt engine installed sounds like a great deal to me, -if- you trust the shop and know what all they're doing. I spent about $1600 at the machine shop on my 5.0 rebuild (some parts were included in that, not just labor) plus the parts I bought separately, and that didn't require boring or new pistons.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Make darn sure it is a good rebuild, they can cut all kinds of corners on rebuilding.

Like if it has a scored piston, they just bore the one hole and put a bigger piston in that and leave the other 5 pistons alone kind of thing, it happens more than you want to know.

2.9's are prone to lifter noise, you might rule that out before you go too deep too.

Last edited:

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
we put a reman in my fiero back when I had the $$$ to do such dumass things.. but it was imo one of the best things I ever did for a vehicle. It was the late 90s and then it cost me $1700 delivered. What's a 2.9 crate go for? from a reputable remanufacturer that is.

Cyrus9586

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Automatic
Make darn sure it is a good rebuild, they can cut all kinds of corners on rebuilding.

Like if it has a scored piston, they just bore the one hole and put a bigger piston in that and leave the other 5 pistons alone kind of thing, it happens more than you want to know.

2.9's are prone to lifter noise, you might rule that out before you go too deep too.
This is a low deep thunk of metal on metal. 1 of 4 shops said lifter all the others said rod knock.

we put a reman in my fiero back when I had the $$$ to do such dumass things.. but it was imo one of the best things I ever did for a vehicle. It was the late 90s and then it cost me $1700 delivered. What's a 2.9 crate go for? from a reputable remanufacturer that is.
So far I can't find a crate but I did find a rebuilt one that was about 900-1200$ however a friend told me the 4.0 v6 from a 90 ranger would work and if that is true then its like 700-1000$, but then I need alternator, power steering pump, belts, wiring harness, and brain box.

2500$ is them rebuilding the whole thing for 1500$ then 1000$ in labor. If I bring them the engine for the swap its price of engine+1000$ the whole point was whats the best and best priced engine I can get that I can install and drive this thing to my grave with. I love this car so I want to do what's best but my wallet constricts that down a bit.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Your easy button is just a quality rebuild on the 2.9.

Next would be a 4.0 swap but having a shop do that would be incredibly expensive. Your typical repair shop is not going to have the expertise to do it correctly, and quite frankly, most would turn down the work. I would not feel comfortable charging someone at least a couple grand for a custom job that is going to be very difficult for other people to troubleshoot in the future and most likely uses questionable junkyard parts with no warranty.

Your best bet is a rebuild.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
I'm shopping for one of the VW TDI diesels for my engine swap. A few people here have done/are doing them.

Check it out.
I managed to nab me a 1.9l ALH TDI out of a beetle for 400 bucks came with everything the harness and all im thinkin bout doin a swap. Back to the OP there are adapters to help you put one of these VWs in ur bronco but overall your looking at some decent cash on this swap. youll need a bigger turbo and injectors then youll have to get a tune for it.

Cyrus9586

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Automatic
Been a while since I had a chance to check this, life.

Okay update.
Mechanic was wrong. Big surprise but the engine does need replaced. I'm buying a 96 explorer for 800$. Engine was rebuilt fully less then 1000 miles ago. Transmission needs work but I'm going to fix it and take everything from engine to t case and drop it all in my b2. Full 4l ohv v6 etc and parting out the rest. Should make all my money back and have my car fixed will be using faq on it I found. Will update how it goes.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Been a while since I had a chance to check this, life.

Okay update.
Mechanic was wrong. Big surprise but the engine does need replaced. I'm buying a 96 explorer for 800$. Engine was rebuilt fully less then 1000 miles ago. Transmission needs work but I'm going to fix it and take everything from engine to t case and drop it all in my b2. Full 4l ohv v6 etc and parting out the rest. Should make all my money back and have my car fixed will be using faq on it I found. Will update how it goes.
If you have not taken the plunge yet, consider dropping a 2.8L/dist. with points into it. A FAR easier swap then the 4.0L with installing all that harness.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals