• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2nd gen Front Recovery Point Location help

killswitch21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2008
Make / Model
Ford, Honda
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Apologies if this is in the wrong section, please move if so.

I have a 1990 Ford ranger 4x4 Standard cab, Long bed. 2.9L V6.

I've been getting the truck off-road ready and recently came to the realization that getting stuck is not the ideal time to realize I don't have any good recovery points. And with a Winch and winch bumper currently out of reach financially, I Decided to look into other options.

My truck came with a tow hitch, so I just picked up a D ring tow hook that mounts into the receiver. Which gives me 1 decent recovery point in the rear. I believe this will suffice until I acquire the funds for a proper rear bumper.

But I definitely still want some recovery points in the front, as the rear may not always be accessible.
After scouring the forums , there doesn't seem to be many solutions for the 2nd gen aside from a front tow receiver or a aftermarket/custom bumper.

I found these Reese bolt on tow hooks rated at 10k lbs, and I grabbed 2 with the intention of mounting one to each frame rail. I would loop the recovery strap through both hooks to try to spread the load to both rails rather than risking pulling one.

I may be overthinking this.
My issue is right at the front of the truck, the rails curve upwards for the last 1' or so of the rail.
Ideally I would mount the hooks towards the very front of the frame rail to make them easily accessible. (see first picture) I would utilize the hole I'm pointing at, plus drill one more next to it to mount my hook. However I'm concerned that the bend in the frame rail may be a weak point, and mounting the hooks in front of the bend may be asking for the frame to bend even more if I put too much load on them during recovery.

So the question is, would it be better to move the hook back behind the bend closer to where I have it in the 2nd picture? It would definitely be a lot less convenient to get to, especially when in mud or anything. However if the frame would be less likely to bend with the hook mounted here, I' could deal with it.

TLDR: Front Recovery hook location better in front of bend or behind the bend on the frame rails

Thanks in advance for the help. TRS has been an amazing resource to have access to with this truck.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't see any pics. But that could be my internet service. Without looking at pics, I would think that either mounting will work as long as the bolts are tight. You should [ideally] be pulling in a straight forward line so any bend in the frame won't make any difference. I really doubt that any pulling you do will bend the frame unless you jerk it. But I also don't have a whole lot of experience being stuck.

killswitch21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2008
Make / Model
Ford, Honda
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I don't see any pics. But that could be my internet service. Without looking at pics, I would think that either mounting will work as long as the bolts are tight. You should [ideally] be pulling in a straight forward line so any bend in the frame won't make any difference. I really doubt that any pulling you do will bend the frame unless you jerk it. But I also don't have a whole lot of experience being stuck.
Thanks, I reloaded them. They were working at first, idk what happened

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I see the pics now. Personally I'd put them as far forward as I could. Don't forget that the plastic under the bumper will get damaged in a tow situation.

killswitch21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2008
Make / Model
Ford, Honda
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I see the pics now. Personally I'd put them as far forward as I could. Don't forget that the plastic under the bumper will get damaged in a tow situation.
Yeah, I was looking into removing that plastic shroud below the bumper when I mount the hooks. I think you're right, as far forward is probably best. And they are just a temporary solution until I can get a proper bumper. So hopefully I wont have to use them much if at all.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I agree that farthest forward is best, but in this case it seems like having it too far up, onto that slope, is going to give you access issues and make it easier for the tow line to fall off.

killswitch21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2008
Make / Model
Ford, Honda
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I agree that farthest forward is best, but in this case it seems like having it too far up, onto that slope, is going to give you access issues and make it easier for the tow line to fall off.
that's quite valid, I hadn't even considered at the upward angle the tow strap would be more inclined to slide off. Hmm, Maybe I should have gotten closed hooks

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I would loop the recovery strap through both hooks to try to spread the load to both rails rather than risking pulling one.
I hope by this you mean to hook each end of the tow strap to each hook, and then pull it from the center of the strap...
To loop the strap through one hook and over to the other (or through both hooks at once) is far more likely to screw something up vs. just pulling it by one hook, since the looped strap will try to pull the hooks toward each other at the same time you yank on it.

Thanks, I reloaded them. They were working at first, idk what happened
Must've disappeared again, because I don't see any pics either.

I would think you'll be fine no matter what if you put a couple small reinforcement plates on each side of the frame (sandwiching it) under where the hook is bolted to (2" wide 3/16" thick steel strip would work for this, drill holes in the plates to match the bolt pattern on your hooks, then assemble together).

×3, mounting the hooks as close to the front as practical is best.

On mine, I have hooks bolted to the underside of my Warn winch tray.

killswitch21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2008
Make / Model
Ford, Honda
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I hope by this you mean to hook each end of the tow strap to each hook, and then pull it from the center of the strap...
To loop the strap through one hook and over to the other (or through both hooks at once) is far more likely to screw something up vs. just pulling it by one hook, since the looped strap will try to pull the hooks toward each other at the same time you yank on it.

Must've disappeared again, because I don't see any pics either.

I would think you'll be fine no matter what if you put a couple small reinforcement plates on each side of the frame (sandwiching it) under where the hook is bolted to (2" wide 3/16" thick steel strip would work for this, drill holes in the plates to match the bolt pattern on your hooks, then assemble together).

×3, mounting the hooks as close to the front as practical is best.

On mine, I have hooks bolted to the underside of my Warn winch tray.
Bah, Google photos is a terrible photo hosting site. IDK why it keeps blanking the pictures after they were working.

Yes, I mean each end of my strap on a hook and pulling from the middle. I definitely worded that poorly the first time, my apologies.

Hmm, I do like the idea of sandwiching the frame with 3/16" plate to add strength where the hooks are.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I've been using Supermotors.net for linking pics (plus you then have a neat place where you can show your ride off to others too, both pics and videos)... They put their logo on pics linked off-site, but at least they continue to allow it (unlike photoshitbucket), and have been consistent about not ever changing their links after the fact, causing anything linked elsewhere to break).

killswitch21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2008
Make / Model
Ford, Honda
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I've been using Supermotors.net for linking pics (plus you then have a neat place where you can show your ride off to others too, both pics and videos)... They put their logo on pics linked off-site, but at least they continue to allow it (unlike photoshitbucket), and have been consistent about not ever changing their links after the fact, causing anything linked elsewhere to break).
I will look into that, I just found cubeupload, which seems to be better than google photos, but being as supermotors is based around vehicles, its probably a better fit for me.

Sadly Id probably pay like $20 a year for access to photobucket again, but they want $3xx a year so screw em, I hope they go down in flames.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals