• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing Rear Springs

mountainkowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Sucks to be you
My 2011 sits warnkie in the back and I've narrowed it down to the springs. Its 1" lower on the RR and the measured spring length is different from side to side, so I guess my springs are worn out, or at least the right one is. It also doesn't really sit higher in the rear as it should. So long story short I'm going to replace the rear springs as a set and I'm looking at these https://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/43-1503hd.htm .

They have a higher weight rating than the stock 4 leafs...would these be for the longbed? Either way I think I will go with them since it will be towed behind a MH with a Harley in the bed, and I will add stable loads to it also. Probably won't ride real well unloaded, but it is a truck....

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
mtncowboy:

They are actual for older Rangers - say '00 - with what was known as payload package #2. With that option Ranger has a 1,660 lb payload capacity on the RCSB - can we say kidney belt required.

They of course fit in any Ranger from '86-up.

mountainkowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Sucks to be you
I don't know about a kidney belt, my Ranger rides more like a car than a truck and squats with anything over 250lbs in it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have springs from a 2009 Supercab in my '85 std cab longbox. Guy that bought the '09 new thought they were too soft... they might have been but they are perfect for my lighter truck.

If you want more spring out of the box you might shop for Explorer springs too. I had a set out of a '96 in mine, it rode like a one ton truck. It would never squat either, I had the bed full of a two row cultivator for one of my tractors, might have settled it an inch.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Those springs you posted would definitely help. a little extra heft never hurts a ranger. These were definitely built as extremely light duty trucks lol.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
sounds like just 1 of yours is bad. I would get a matched set from a salvage yard. try car-part.com for listings. of course a new set would work, and you wouldn't have to worry about seized bolts. (well, not in California)
rear springs really don't wear/sag much from normal use, you probably have a defective one.
checked the rear hangers? they rust and fall apart quickly.

Harley in the bed??? Hmmm, that puts the weight up real high. got a rear stabilizer bar?
what truck do you have? 4wd? 2wd, coils or torsion bars up front?

stay away from air shocks, they are in too close to the center of the truck and will act like a freaking teeter-totter with a high load.

Last edited:

HighMileage93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l I4
Transmission
Manual
My 93 2.3L longbed has springs for a 4.0 ext. cab front and back. It still has the "ranger lean" and i haven't figured out if it is the frame, body mounts, or just the bed but it rides good and handles great. Check the rear most set of mounts though, too. Those things can rust through and sag or just break. It has happened to me. Actually drove it for a little while and didn't notice that the rear spring eye was touching the underside of the bed!!

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144247

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals