• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1991 Ranger V8 Swap in St. Charles, Missouri...Legal?

camusmuse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I know...I hate to ask, but I was hoping that someone might be able to tell me *for sure* if it is legal to swap a V8 into my 1991 Ranger 2WD in St. Charles County(and City) in Eastern Missouri as of 6-1-2015. No Emissions testing for that year, but there is a Safety Inspection.

It is currently a I4 5-speed, factory AC delete. I *do* want AC, and had planned on getting a donor vehicle with AC and then using an aftermarket AC "add on" kit for the interior and the stock compressor, unless the factory parts are easily swappable to make it work. But I understand my AC delete heater box is preferable for clearance issues.

I also want to switch from 5-speed to Auto...yeah, I know this goes against even my own ideals, but I just want the convenience of the Auto. Again I want this to be street legal, more for cruise/fun/daily driver that might occasionally see the race track.

I plan on getting a 1991 donor vehicle(unless there are better options). Most likely a Lincoln, or a 5.0 HO car if I can get a deal... I want to get a known running drivetrain first, get it installed, drive it till it gives up the ghost, then eventually install a "built" motor and trans for a bit more power. Also plan on the rear disk brake axle swap from an Explorer to handle even the stock V8 power....already have done alot of research here and other websites, and think I have that covered. I had planned on a custom drive shaft anyway.

I also have a 351 that *might* be a donor option from a 1995 f-150 4WD Auto that I already have...I know the 351 is a bit tighter and more of a pain to swap...just kinda throwing the idea out there, plus like I said....I already have it. Especially since it is a 95...I am not sure how the ECUs will work or swap...I want to keep everything as stock as possible, including the factory gauges...I know the tachometer needs to be converted, and think there a couple options.

On the same note, I want to keep EFI, again basically make it look like it came from the factory with a V8.

Anyone from Eastern Missouri willing to chime in or give guidance would be greatly appreciated, though obviously I will take all the advice I can get.

I just really want to make *absolutely* sure I can make it street legal where I live before I get too far into the project...worst case...I fix/replace the I4..lol...it was my late father's truck(he bought it new in 1991), wont hurt my feelings or pocket book to keep it stock, but I know he would appreciate a swap(and of course so would I.....:) )

Thanks in advance.....

camusmuse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
No love??? Or are all of you just not from Missouri/my area?

Or is not legal? ...grrr...and anyone that has done it...might not want to share such information on this interweb thingy...?? Thats cool. (Shrugs)...thought it might be worth a shot. Time to research the fun to be had with that little 2.5, er, I mean 2.3....:)

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well Federal DOT says it's not legal. As for your specific location, well that's a really specific question. You probably haven't gotten any responses because nobody knows. Call your state's DOT.

f3joel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Might call a performance shop or two in your area and ask them about local laws.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals