• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.6 build

red_rocket98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok so I'm taking on the challenge with a 4.6 swap. I have a 2003 mercury grand marquis that got hit and the engine and tranny only have 53k for miles and I have all the guts from it to work with so one of my questions is engine harness to my 1998 3.0 v6 ranger body harness. Any tips on what I need to look at? Should I start from scratch and do my body to fit my engine harness? It's for a prerunner kinda deal.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

red_rocket98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No one has anything?

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
The 4.6 requires alot of work to make fit for a breif summary look into the trucks episode rolling thunder but as far as wiring goes study the evtms for both and have at it there not plug n play by any means

red_rocket98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The 4.6 requires alot of work to make fit for a breif summary look into the trucks episode rolling thunder but as far as wiring goes study the evtms for both and have at it there not plug n play by any means
I already have the motor and tranny in and mounts made I'm trying to figure out the wiring now and I got stumped I knew it wouldn't be a plug n play.

I have a thought if I take out all the bs I don't need and just get the wires that go to the motor to run is this the best route you think?

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
There is a few hurtles with wiring
1. Pats either tune it out or get a stand alone computer.
2. Emissions the stock computer wont like the rangers evap system so the the donor stuff will need to be used or tuned out. Passing an emissions inspection if your state requires it.
3. Vss signal the trans wont shift right if its not getting the correct signal so if it comes from the trans your good but if it comes from the rear axle some reaserch is needed to see if its compatible.
4. The obivious power and ground wires starter and altnator are simple circuits to make work but you will need to find the pins in the engine harness to supply power to the pcm and the grounds it will need a few hours reading schematics will help with that.
5. As far as the ranger body harness is concerned leave it in. You just need to tap into it for check engine light, oil pressure, obd2 plug, coolant temp, and battery voltage. Now as far as if your gauges are compatible with the 4.6 im not sure.
If it were me id focus on fitting that wide pig in the engine bay and get the cooling, power steering, and trans cooler all buttoned up then move to fuel and air. Once thats all buttoned up get a drive shaft in it because theres nothing worse than getting it running and not being able to do v8 burnouts and pissin off the neighborhood. Then start wiring.

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
O and send svt a pm he has a wealth of knowledge

red_rocket98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
O and send svt a pm he has a wealth of knowledge
Thank you vary much Willy all you said made vary good sense.

Lariat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
When life is passing you by, downshift!
www.bbbind.com will be your friend. Go to their wiring diagrams. That will help a lot.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals