• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Did the v8 swap now need suggestion for suspension

Danger ranger90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I've done a 302 swap to my ford ranger and my ultimate goal is to turn it into a drift truck. It's already lowered three inches. But need suggestions on how to make the front end supsions stiffer with less body role with either coil overs or something I'm really hoping some one out the has some kind is suggestions

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Few things you might want to look at before springs. First, what condition are your bushings in? New poly bushings can tighten things up a lot. Second, what have you got for sway bars? If you haven't got one or have a small factory one, getting a large front and rear sway bar can make a drastic improvement in body roll. Third, what have you got for tires? 16"+ wheels and lower profile tires make a huge difference in handling. On my 84 I noticed almost as much difference when I went from 14" wheels to 16" wheels, as I did when I added a front sway bar. Never got a chance to lower it or add a rear sway bar, but that's coming on the next one.

I know that their were several different spring rates used on the 2wd I-beam Rangers, If you need springs maybe you could find some with a higher spring rate. IIRC NAPA lists spring rates on their replacement springs. Any stock replacement 2wd spring from 1983-1997 should fit right into your truck. I was actually thinking about doing this if I replace the springs on my 86, but I want to see how it runs and handles with just the lowering, sway bars, and larger wheels first.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Bigger rims lower profile tires :)

Some Bronco II's came with a 1" sway bar on the rear and it bolts right on to a Ranger, assuming 7.5" axle, pre-'98 I think
Ranger sway bars were smaller.

But larger sway bar on the rear first, if it still feels "rolly" then go larger on the front as well

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Danger ranger90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Few things you might want to look at before springs. First, what condition are your bushings in? New poly bushings can tighten things up a lot. Second, what have you got for sway bars? If you haven't got one or have a small factory one, getting a large front and rear sway bar can make a drastic improvement in body roll. Third, what have you got for tires? 16"+ wheels and lower profile tires make a huge difference in handling. On my 84 I noticed almost as much difference when I went from 14" wheels to 16" wheels, as I did when I added a front sway bar. Never got a chance to lower it or add a rear sway bar, but that's coming on the next one.

I know that their were several different spring rates used on the 2wd I-beam Rangers, If you need springs maybe you could find some with a higher spring rate. IIRC NAPA lists spring rates on their replacement springs. Any stock replacement 2wd spring from 1983-1997 should fit right into your truck. I was actually thinking about doing this if I replace the springs on my 86, but I want to see how it runs and handles with just the lowering, sway bars, and larger wheels first.
It's has I beam front suspention and leafs in the rear with a small sway bar as well an where or who would I need to go to get sway bars

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Wrecking yard.

Sent from my XT1032

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There were several different front and rear sizes available. The best factory rear sway bar is a 1" bar from a Bronco II, never paid much attention to the factory front since I already had an aftermarket front bar. There are a few threads in the 2wd suspension and mini truck suspension sub-forums on this site. The subject is covered pretty well in those. To sum up what they say, with your 93 you can install any sway bar that is on a 1989-1997 (83-97 for rear) Ranger, BII, or Explorer.

There are also aftermarket front and rear sway bars available online that work well. I personally had a 1 1/8" Hellwig bar on the front of my 84 and it worked wonderful. The same bar will not work on yours, but I'm sure that they have one that will.

Last edited:

Danger ranger90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There were several different front and rear sizes available. The best factory rear sway bar is a 1" bar from a Bronco II, never paid much attention to the factory front since I already had an aftermarket front bar. There are a few threads in the 2wd suspension and mini truck suspension sub-forums on this site. The subject is covered pretty well in those. To sum up what they say, with your 93 you can install any sway bar that is on a 1989-1997 (83-97 for rear) Ranger, BII, or Explorer.

There are also aftermarket front and rear sway bars available online that work well. I personally had a 1 1/8" Hellwig bar on the front of my 84 and it worked wonderful. The same bar will not work on yours, but I'm sure that they have one that will.
Awesome thank you very much I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future

Danger ranger90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My next question is where would I look to get a manual steering rack to eliminate my power steering pump as well is there a power stealing pump delete kit?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals