• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

V8 swap advice would be great!

FloridaRanger89

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L going 302
Transmission
Manual
Hello RangerStation members,
I have been visiting this website for the past 2 years as I have been rebuilding my truck but just became a member. I have a 1989 Supercab Ranger 2.9L 4X4 (D35 and 8.8) 6'' class II Skyjacker 3" body lift and 2'' coil spacers, Frame off restoration in the works. I plan to make a flat bed and new bumpers in the near future as well as finish the interior. However, the reason I am in the V8 forum is I recently got the truck back on the road and my performance and economy are horrible with the 2.9. I have the technology, tools, and half the know how to do any job in this process but I am aware there are others on this site that have a great deal more knowledge on everything Rangers. Engine/Transmission wise I have pulled them and put them back in but never a conversion like this (I also do all my own work by myself so my own research is necessary). I have read countless forums and threads on here and I am in the research stage of my engine build so I do not have to do it twice. I believe I want to do a carb 302 and eliminate as many accessories and extras as possible and keep it basic. I have found out that I will need a new radiator, electric fan, oil filter relocation setup, fuel pressure regular to decrease my P.S.I. from 40 down to 5-7, new headers, alternator bracket, power steering bracket, engine mounts, engine, transmission, transfer, driveshaft work. In short any personal experience, problems, upgrades, downgrades, things to know, tips, ect. would be greatly appreciated. :beer:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I know you said you want to go carb, but you really might want to rethink that. Yours is already setup for efi, its not hard to stay that way. I highly suggest a 96-97 5.0 explorer as your donor motor, as the FEAD is the tightest you will ever find, and you will need every inch with a 1st/2nd gen body.
You didn't say which trans you want, which tcase you're thinking of, or your intentions with this build. Are you going rebuild the motor, or run what you find?

SVT

FloridaRanger89

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L going 302
Transmission
Manual
To start thankyou for the reply. I have had many people tell me to go with the carb for the build I have planned and just as many saying stay EFI. I guess the real question I have is why not go carb? I feel it is indeed the simpler system as well as cheaper and easier to work on/adjust out on the trail. I plan on getting the truck pretty wet and would like to avoid as much extra computer/ wiring as possible which is a reason I would like to go carb. Forgive my ignorance but how do I know what generation my Ranger is? I just decided to go the V8 route this week so I am still undecided on trans/ transfer but very open to ideas and options. My plan for the build to have a reliable dd (although it is not my primary vehicle) that will do a decent amount of time on the trails, in the woods, and in the mud. I plan or ripping out the old dash and starting fresh with all new gauges ect. I would prefer to get a crate engine but understand they are probably going to ne out of my price range so the engine and transmission I plan to rebuild. Is there any other reasons or benefits from using a 96-97 explorer rather then say a F150 or mustang.. Also a complete donor vehicle isn't out of question. Thankyou again for your time.

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
Like svt said 96 97 explorer would be simplest way to go no pats fits no carb fuel starving issues on hills as far as trans and transfer case goes 4r70w and bw 4406

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
For a trail truck, efi is the way to go. Ford stopped using carbs on 5.0's back in 1985, why go backwards in technology? The explorer 5.0 has all the latest goodies in fords lineup, HO cam, dual coil packs, GT40 heads and intake, standalone wiring harness, tightest FEAD available....

SVT

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
Yup and gives the ranger alot more pep does hurt the wallet on tires though

FloridaRanger89

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L going 302
Transmission
Manual
Thanks everybody for the feedback as well as a Status update... I recently came by a 302 block crank and heads as well as another complete 302 with a 4 barrel intake including a dual sump oil pan. I also believe I can get my hands on a c6 transmission. All listed parts were free so no financial investment yet however, is there anybody willing to help school me on pros and cons of boring and or stroking a 302 based engine as well as any other cam or head swap or upgrade information. This will be my first engine build and I am sure I will learn many things a long the way but any help and ideas is greatly appreciated. I am trying to stick with a budget build but want to do it right the first time and get as much power as possible.

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
I run a 347/C-6 combo in my 84. I get lots of hp, but it will cost you to build it. 69 block, only had to bore one cylinder to .040 over(because of a bad scratch in the cylinder wall) I went with 68 heads, Lunati VooDoo cam (351 profile), shorty headers, built it mainly for torque, but still pulled 425 on the dyno at the engine shop. BUT, it ended up running me around 8000. Had the heads rebuilt with hardened valve guides and matching the cam. Planned on running a Pro-Jection 2D kit, and did for a year, then went back to a simple Qudra-jet 4 barrel (still looking for a decent throttle body kit). Be careful on boring out a stroker, you can run into detonation problems if your not careful (taking it to 355 is about the limit, from what my engine builder told me)

On the C-6 I run a B&M Torque Master converter. I lucked out cause I had one out of a 84 F150, and it had the correct output shaft for my adapter to the Dana 20 (has to be the 31 spline shaft and it has to be shortened about an inch, using the Advance Adapter, adapter). It is a hp pig though. I wont ever burn it up, but if I was to do it over, I would find a nice C-4, put a little into it, and probably be ahead.

Im thinking about going with the 5.0/AOD combo in my Samurai buggy (just because I have a D44 and 9"). Go back with the Dana 20, or if funds allow a Atlas. If you are limited on funds, and what you get is what you have, it can be done. Just plan on spending a bit more.

I would have to agree with everyone else on finding the Explorer 5.0. Waterproofing isnt that hard to get done, I have had my 94 Explorer in the water up to the windshield (it has a snorkel, and waterproofed ECM).

Just my experiences with the 302/347 stroker and C-6.

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
Well a v8 in an ranger can be a budget if your budget is 3k or so can be done for cheeper or alot more just depends on engine trans and transfer case you choose

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals