• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

coolant leak/timing cover

scruffy1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
OK. Noticed a bit of coolant on the ground a while ago and it looked like it was coming from the timing cover up by the H2O pump. Changed the pump but noticed the coolant again today.:annoyed:
Does one of the bolts of the timing cover penetrate the water jacket? Why would coolant be coming from that area?

BYW, turned out the pump need to be changed anyway along with the thermostat and idler pulley. So, I don't feel like I totally tossed my cash.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i dont think any of the bolts go through the water jacket...that would be kinda odd.

could it be an intake manifold or head gasket leak?

scruffy1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Lordy, I hope not!

I'll get up under there tomorrow and clean it up a bit to see if I can locate the origin.

I seem to remember a post about a freeze plug behind the cover. Wouldn't that put coolant in my oil?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
if theres a freeze plug back there and if its leaking then yes it'll dump coolant into the oil.

i dont know if theres a plug behind the cover or not.

scruffy1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Oil looks good.

Just found this in my Haynes book in reference to reinstalling the timing chain cover.

"Use Teflon pipe sealant(Ford D6AZ-19558-A or equivalent) on all cover bolts which go into the water jacket(bolt numbers 1,2,and 3)."

Of course, there is no illustration specifying which bolts they are but I assume they are numbered beginning to the left of the crank seal. That puts them in the area of the seepage. As far as I can tell the seep looks like it is coming from the gasket of the timing cover, not from around the bolt heads.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
huh, thats really interesting. i didnt teflon my water pump bolts and it hasnt leaked in 4 years :D

id pull them back out and teflon them though...even if it doesnt fix your problem, you dont want them leaking later on.

scruffy1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Do you think I will need to drain the system (again) before doing that?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i would, just to ensure it doesnt get into the front cover and contaminate your oil. you can dump the same antifreeze back in when your done...no need to buy new stuff (unless it needs it anyway)

scruffy1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
This looks like a job for the weekend.

leppychaun

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Coolant / Timing Cover

Hey guys,
I've read a few posts. Seems i'm having the same problem with my 98 B3000. Coolant is leaking from behind the Water Pump and appears to be coming from the Timing Cover Gasket. Now i've been keeping an eye on my oil it doesn't APPEAR to be milky but then again i'm not really sure. lol I've been bad about it getting black and changed it about a month ago so it's all nice and clean but it did seem a little ... thin. I don't have the money to stick my truck in the shop and I do have know how on replacing things. But as I don't have another vehicle and Won't be able to work on my truck untill well a week from Sat .. If there is a littel coolant in the oil how long can my truck last ??? before i can get that Timing off ? I've been putting water in the reservoir every few days but the Radiator has stayed full. it's not gushing water or anything but sure is drippin. And what is the easiest way to get to that ... Shady Tree style ?? Any help would be appreciated.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The water jacket goes THROUGH the timing cover (on both sides) and can very easily leak where the timing cover mates with the engine block. If I remember right, the ports are just below the heads on both sides.

I don't think any of the bolts go through the water jacket. That language in Haynes is generic; some engine bolts DO go through the water jacket on GM vehicles (SBC head bolts are notorious).

lcarper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'm having the same leak. I tightened 3 bolts in the leak area. The bolt closest to the leak was a little loose. After one 20 min drive, it appears to have stopped the leak. I'll continue to watch it.

Linn M.
1999 Ranger XLT FFV Flairside
3.0L
manual, 2WD
2nd owner

scruffy1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It turned cold here and I don't feel like crawling around on the ground to work on the truck. How do you all feel about radiator stop leak products?

My understanding is that they work to some degree on cracks and radiator leaks but not so well on gasket issues. I've always been very wary of this stuff. The only thing I tried it on was a near death '56 Ford f100, fixed the freeze plug leak but it died anyway. I miss the ol' thing.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Before you get a bottle of Barr's, ask to see a head gasket at the auto parts store. Try to identify the coolant passages through the head gasket. Some of them are smaller than a pencil lead.

I won't touch the stuff.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
+1

stay far, far away from any kind of radiator (or oil, or power steering, or transmission) stop leak.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals