• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Everything goes dead while driving except engine

Catterman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9V6
Transmission
Automatic
My B2 has been sitting most of the summer, and now I am getting it ready to either sell or drive this winter. I am still having low fuel pressure at 20 psi, and hope to get my new fuel pump in this weekend.

For my question here, while I drive it, the whole truck will go dead! Gauges go to zero, radio dies, air/heater turns off, etc. but the engine and truck will keep running and driving. Then about 3-8 seconds later they all come back on... ANy idea where I start on this one???????

Thanks guys!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Check all the connections at the battery cables. Disruptions there can cause odd electrical symptoms because the alternator isn't able to respond instantly to changes in load.

I used to loose the cluster and radio every time I flipped the turn signals on of switched hi/low beam, and that's what it was, a loose connection at a battery cable.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Check ground strap from head to firewall, that is the main ground for the instrument panel and other electrics attached to firewall.
Cab is isolated from engine and frame grounds, so needs a ground strap for reliable ground.

It is often forgotten or left off after work is done, then ground is via throttle cable and/or auto trans shift cable which can be intermittent.
Run a new ground from engine to firewall if you can't find the factory strap.

This diagram shows the 12v side of things: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/files/Diagram_Powerdistribution_1991_2of7.JPG

Looks like the Brown wire and Yellow/light blue stripe wire coming from the power box in engine compartment, feed most of the cab fuse panel circuits, one of these wires could have a corroded connection.
If it was a short the fuse would blow.

My money would be on a ground issue, but I am poor so don't win many bets :)

Last edited:

Catterman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9V6
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, I will check those out tonight. ;)

Is the power distribution box located in the engine compartment? - or under pass side floorboard area (not sure why I think this...)?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, engine compartment, on 1990 B2 it should be on passenger side inner fender well, black box with lid that opens.
Under this box are the EEC relay, Fuel Pump relay and the Wide open throttle(WOT) relay

Catterman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9V6
Transmission
Automatic
Didn't get to it... heading out of town so will try to get to it by Monday and will report what I find. Thanks!

Catterman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9V6
Transmission
Automatic
I found the ground strap, it was attached but the bolt wasn't the tightest. I torqued it down and then ran another wire for an additional ground strap. Drove it about 8 miles and no issues so I am hoping it is fixed! :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals