• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 B3000 3.0l V6 water in oil, need help

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
If you have 110/120 lbs. compression (should be over 160) I think you need to rebuild the whole thing. From the looks of the water jacket, the heads need to be boiled out anyway. From the look of the oil, I would bet the bearings have been damaged, too. Or, find a good used 3.0 and put that in it (of course you will not know how long that engine will last).

Pull the engine and do rings, bearings, heads. Pull and inspect water pump and oil pump. And clean, clean and clean some more to get that contaminated oil out of it. Get an engine gasket set (a good set like FelPro, not eBay junk) and put it back together right using a shop manual. You have not said if it is an auto or manual trans, if manual put in a new clutch or at least inspect it. If auto, service or have it serviced after you get it back on the road.

With only 200K miles on it if you rebuild the engine you will have an almost new truck that will last another 200K.

Last edited:

InTitusville

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
I have MS, epilepsy and bad disc in my back so any of this work is a lot for me... I've rebuilt old 1968 Mustang engines in the past but those were easy compared to this.

I recently did the head on my 1990 4 cylinder Mustang LX because it blew through 2 head gaskets in 6 months. The magnaflux test was showing 7 cracks in the head so I bought a head from the junkyard and they checked that and told me it's the best looking head they've seen in a while. It was rebuilt and on the Mustang for about a year and no problem. I check the compression and get 120 on all cylinders on the Mustang.

The B3000 is an automatic and does go through transmission fluid and I fear a seal leak and I was told if the seal is leaking it's because the bearing is also bad. I only paid $800 for this and have over $400 in all new A/C/ parts into it. I may just take the chance the intake gaskets are the cause and put it back together and if the same thing happens I'm only out about $40 in gaskets. I could get 2 rebuilt heads from Tampa for about $310 but the budget is low and the use of the truck is also low. I just use the truck to get building materials for the house and the free mulch we get from the city.

The guy at the machine shop told me that most people that have the oil/coolant problem use an oil treatment and change the oil and filter several times in the first 50 to 100 miles. He suggest I take the oil pan down but it doesn't look easy. I'm going to have them clean the intake and valve covers. I have oil/grease all over the rest of the engine. I noticed when I put the new A/C part in there was water around the front of the intake and the thermostat housing. This is the area that looks like where the gasket was bad.

InTitusville

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
It looks like my intake gaskets were bad. These don't have any sealant on them. The guy at the machine shop told me sometimes Ford doesn't use sealant/adhesive on the intake gaskets. Looks like both were bad around the coolant ports.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals