• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Thoughts? Custom topper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So I've had this idea for a while, and decided to Photoshop it and see how it would look.

It will be soft material, not hard fiberglass.

Sides will be snap on/off

And will be based on a tube roll bar that will eventually tie into a partial exo cage.

Just want some feedback on what you guys think of my idea. Hate the flat topped caps, and I'm kinda diggin the angles look. And like the ease of removing a soft top vs a heavier, more awkward to move fiberglass or hard top.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
It is different... I kind of like it.

One suggestion that I would have is to nix the snaps and put velcro strips instead. they will last longer and be easier to work with. you might also attach the cover to several flat pieces of wood at the edges to make it a bit more rigid. maybe sew the material around it? or do the flat wood/ metal on the front and back only, this will allow you to roll up the top portion as needed. with the velcro you can stop it in the middle or all the way up or just a few inches to let a small but long item stick out of the bed.

Just my suggestions. :)

AJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Velcro is a good idea, I can see it being a pain in the ass in winter though with the snow and ice.
Maybe a zipper of some sort

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
I like the idea. Velcro along the roof and down the cab side would do it, too. I like the idea of Velcro better.

Snow & water....meh. It melts, and it'll get out of the way with time. Just brush it off well and I think you'll be set.

What would you do for a rear window?

The zipper idea...maybe you could roll it all the way up to the roof without detaching it from the cab?

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Where is a good place to get vinyl?

Canvas is sturdy, but heavy, and very difficult to sew. It is too hardy for Velcro.
Also, unless it is really taught and has proper measurements & cuts, it'll flap like crazy in the wind.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It will definitely have proper measurements. It has to be a sturdy material. Snownstorms we get where I am can put 2-3 feet of snow on it in a matter of a few hours.

As for Velcro, I really don't think it will work. You get snow in there and it just won't stick. I have experienced this issue quite often with jackets and what not.

As for rear window, it won't have one lol. Nor will it really need one. Trucks not a daily driver anymore. And never gets driven in the city. So I don't n really see the need for a rear window. My mirrors are adjusted properly I don't even use my rear view mirror much now anyways

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It's cool looking but what's the purpose? Does it need to be that shape so something can be carried inside the bed? Or, is it that shape only because you hate the boxy look of a topper? If it's the latter, a case could be made for just buying a tonneau cover.

I agree on the Velcro, that won't fly in freezing temps.

Will there be some type of support, from side-to-side or cab-to-tailgate to keep the fabric from collapsing into the bed (like if a heavy snow occurs)?

I could see making the frame out of mild steel square tube, mild steel round tube or even something like aluminum Uni-Strut.

I would consider getting a rear facing camera to use as your "rear view mirror".

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The purpose is to have an enclosed bed I can sleep in, and yes I hate the boxy look of toppers, not to mention they are not one person removal friendly. Plus I think it looks a million times more bad ass than a boring square topper lol.

Also when this truck becomes more and more of a trail truck it will get a partial exo cage over the roof, and down the a pillar, so then framework for this soft top will tie into that when it happens.

Thinking 1 3/4" DOM for the angled sides, and across by the roof, then a removable 1 1/2" piece along the tailgate end to hold the fabrics in place.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Same general idea.

I might mock it up with wrapping paper tubes and sheets of paper. To get measurements etc.

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think it's be cool as long as it were on a functional roll bar, otherwise you might as well have a topper.

If I were designing this I think I would have the sides and ends connected to the roof panel, with snaps, velcro, or sippers down the corners. When you want it open just roll sides up and tie out of the way.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That's the plan.

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
I like the design in your photoshopped pic. Whether the property would exist or not, it definitely has an aerodynamic aesthetic...

To throw my (take or leave) thoughts your way:

I like snaps or zipper over velcro...but I think you've already decided on not using velcro.

Maybe consider designing your roll bar as a piece separate from the topper, and design the topper to snap onto a retractable (and detachable) frame...similar to a convertible soft-top, perhaps. When in use, you would attach the frame to the roll bar (fixed directly behind the cab, pivot arms somewhere midway along the bed, latches at the tailgate end of the bed).

Just a thought...and might involve more than what you want to do.

Maffew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It's cool looking but what's the purpose?
It looks super rad! Love the angles. But to expand here, if you're using it for a sleeper like you said, wouldn't having removable sides create another cold air/water leakage point

Seems like doing a full cover like above would make more sense. Plus, less points for failure.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That's true, but sides that remove make it super simple to get access to items in there. Sleeping in it will be a minor secondary use. Won't happen often.

As long as I overlap the top piece, any rain water will simply roll off the top, and down the sides. Easily achievable.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals