• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'95 Ford Ranger Problems

Marcus001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I apologize for being vague in the thread title. I don't quite know how to describe the problem(s) I am having. There is a bit of a story behind this, so I will try to be quick.

I just bought this Ranger about a week ago. When I bought it I was aware of the fact that the windshield wipers didn't work along with the dome lights. My initial thoughts about the wipers were that it was either a relay, the wiper motor, or the turn signal switch inside the car. A day later I have ruled out all of those options. I can manually ground the relays so I know the motor works, I can fire the relays themselves and here them click, and I bought a brand new turn signal lever.

While I was ruling all of those issues out, I found a line diagram for the windshield wipers. In this diagram, it showed that everything that had to do with the wipers went through the generic electric module. So once I figured out everything it wasn't, I searched for what a GEM was and where it was located at. Sure enough, I pull the radio panel out and find that the connector for the GEM had been unplugged. I plug it back in and my windshield wipers work and my dome light came on (my door was open when I did this). This was around 8 pm last night. I went inside to eat something and and after that I wanted to take the truck for a drive to see if anything else had changed. I got to where I was going, went inside, and came back out. I got in the truck, started it, and the annoying warning buzzer that sounds when your door is open, headlights are on, or key is left in the ignition came on and never shut off. As you can imagine I unplugged the GEM connector again.

Trying to fix this new issue I have temporarily removed the ground cable attached to the ignition to signal if the key was left in, and I have sprayed the door hinges with a lot of WD-40. Neither of those two things have worked. I don't know everything that the GEM does, but I am about to say screw it and just get a three way switch for my wipers (low, off, and high). As a last stitch effort I figured I would ask some more informed people about my problems :D.

Any and all information regarding my issues is appreciated. Thank you!

rtg143

U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4l
Transmission
Automatic
Did you spray the WD40 in the latches or hinges? The latch is where they can have problems. Here's the diagram for the warning system.

Attachments

Marcus001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I wasn't exactly sure what I was suppose to spray, so I sprayed both. I was fooling around with it today and I guess previously the connector for the GEM was loose. Today when I plugged it in, the dome light never turned off. I am going to try to coat it in more WD-40; I really don't want to have to replace that door switch.

rtg143

U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4l
Transmission
Automatic
Inside the latches and open and close the doors a few times. Keep us informed.

Marcus001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Sprayed the latch well with WD-40 and it fixed the issue. I feel kinda stupid now :|. Thanks for the help. I am glad it is fixed!

rtg143

U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4l
Transmission
Automatic
No problem. Thanks for the update.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals