• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco II "weird" Trans Noise

BIICory

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84'
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey there guys, new to the ranger station here. Broncoii.org has gotten pretty dead :sad: so i figured id move over to a new site!

SO.. Ive got an 84 BII. 76000 original miles on a 2.8 and c5 trans. Durasparked. Truck runs great but has recently developed some ODD noise from underneath. Thinking its the trans. Ima be as detailed as i can.

First up, fluid level is fine, not too dark, and smells fresh. When i am in park, no noise comes from anywhere. But when in drive under load, between 2500-3200 rpm there is an almost "burp sounding grinding noise" that is of medium loudness. Thing is... The trans shifts GREAT with absolutely no hesitation or slipping. The noise is audibly different when it changes gear. then it just seemingly goes away. Its only under about half throttle too.

Bit stumped as there are no driveablity issues. Any ideas Guys? I apprecciate it

CB

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I heard that "burp sounding grinding noise" that is of medium loudness, in mine the other day. Pretty sure it was the awesome cilli I had the night before. Didn't smell fresh, though. ;)

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
Not sure about others on here, but burp sounding grinding noise isn't all that descriptive to me. Is there any shake or shimmy that accompanies this noise? The only sound i can think of that could be described as such is a driveline vibration caused by an imbalance in the driveline or a failed ujoint. Usually that'll shake the snot out of you though....

BIICory

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84'
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
No see thats the weird thing. No shimmy or shake or vibration. Shifting wonderfully. Strangest thing is it ONLY happens under about half throttle. not full or little

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'm going to need a real description before I can help on this one. Something I can understand.

BIICory

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84'
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm going to need a real description before I can help on this one. Something I can understand.
What would make myself more clear? Thanks for your interest in my thread

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Put the truck in front of me.

BIICory

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84'
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Put the truck in front of me.

.... I can describe it again in hopes of more legit responses than this..

Low pitch grinding/fast deep vibration sound coming from seemingly the transmission area of the truck. ONLY under half throttle. No shimmy or vibration noted. Noise is still present with 4x4 on. Changes pitch when gear is shifted. No noise whatsoever in park or N. However i have no way to be sure its the trans at all.

Thats about good as i can do unless you have a real suggestion as to making my description better..

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Can you somehow record the sound with decent fidelity and upload it somewhere as a .WAV or .MP3 file maybe?

I'm tempted to say it's not the trans at all if there's absolutely no symptom other than a vibration noise (and all fluids look good)... How are your motor and trans mounts?

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Have you been under neath to check obvious things?? Anything loose? Mounts? vibrations from from catalytic converter shield?? Driveshaft?

BIICory

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84'
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ill see about recording the sound in the next few days. But there is no cat anymore, driveshaft seems completely solid. Mounts are good and solid. and yes all fluid is good. The only indication it is trans related is because of the noise change when it shifts gear from higher to lower pitch. Ill see about recording it

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
I vote something is loose in the exhaust. Also, no RBV is exempt from being required to run a cat unless it's never taken on a public road, and even then it's ignorant. Go put on some sort of exhaust that includes a cat (c'mon, they're like $50 and modern ones aren't restrictive) and I bet the rattle goes away.

BIICory

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84'
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well the exhaust is new as of last year. From header back. No cat because i didnt have the money at the time, and honestly it isnt a big deal on an almost 30 year old truck... Especially because itd have to be a good one so the salt in michigan didnt eat it alive. I mean, its possible that its something in the exhaust. i could always disconnect it and see... maybe i will when it stops snowing like a mad fool

BIICory

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84'
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
But.... if it was exhaust related... it wouldnt only be doing it in drive. it would be in neutral, and park also..

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
Not necessarily. The exhaust will resonate differently depending on rpm and load. Crawl under and grab ahold of different things and shake them, figure out which part is rattling. If it was the tranny or drivetrain making that much noise, I'd think you feel it through the seat going down the road.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals