• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Totaled!

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I got in a wreck with mine back on oct 25(20 days after getting it tagged for the first time in 4 years). The other driver was at fault. there ins. co. said it was totalled after looking at through pics. I told them that I wasn't gonna settle for anything less than "replacement cost" and I was retaining the vehicle. They shot me a lowball figure at first and I rejected it. Then after some negotiation we settled at $2600.00 and I kept it. Now it will have a "salvage" title but if you want to repair it and put it back on the road it is do-able(check with your state for the regs on doing that). My case it is gonna wind up being a trail truck so no problem.
Good luck and glad that no-one got hurt!! Be persistent with the ins. co. and don't accept the first offer unless it's fair. There job is to keep from spending money they know they owe but they have to settle by law within a certain amount of time. Unsure how long that is but I know it is law.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4Cyl, 2.9 EFI V6
Transmission
Manual
Yeah they offered me 1200 for the broncoII for totaled and the werent gonna give me a owner retains value but I made them do the calculations.. He said it would be like 850 bucks if I keep the truck.. That would more than pay for the axle one new wheel and probably 4 retreaded 31's plus the 2inch lift I wanted to put on it! That is if they actually find the girl that was texting and driving liable.. CO is stupid.. if not Il have like 700 bucks at the moment plus scrap value..

173dave

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V-6
Transmission
Manual
You guys are crazy! How bad were you and your buddy hurt? You should get compensation for your injuries. Go to the doctor and see what he says about your injuries. You probably have whip lash or something like that. Go get checked out. And when you talk to the insurance company don't take their first offer. You were hurt and this truck is your baby. If it was the other guys fault he owes you something for his stupid mistake. After your done with all this, then think about your truck.

Spoken like a parent, because I am one..............

173dave

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V-6
Transmission
Manual

elpoffroad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
^^^^ totally agree I went to a lawyer when they wrecked into my buddies civic and I was passenger I ended up getting 1500 and 2 weeks of therapy and he got 2500 and his car paid off since he had just got it off the lot. I say take it to a lawyer and let him do his thing, its gonna take a little longer but you will make out a little better. Maybe injury and cost of truck???

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got in a wreck with mine back on oct 25(20 days after getting it tagged for the first time in 4 years). The other driver was at fault. there ins. co. said it was totalled after looking at through pics. I told them that I wasn't gonna settle for anything less than "replacement cost" and I was retaining the vehicle. They shot me a lowball figure at first and I rejected it. Then after some negotiation we settled at $2600.00 and I kept it. Now it will have a "salvage" title but if you want to repair it and put it back on the road it is do-able(check with your state for the regs on doing that). My case it is gonna wind up being a trail truck so no problem.
Good luck and glad that no-one got hurt!! Be persistent with the ins. co. and don't accept the first offer unless it's fair. There job is to keep from spending money they know they owe but they have to settle by law within a certain amount of time. Unsure how long that is but I know it is law.
Apparently agents get daily beatings for open cases because they are really pushy wanting to close things up as soon as possible. The "Peggy" credit card commercials come to mind... and if they are like the "Jim" that my mom had to deal with a couple years ago you will agree.

One thing too, she felt fine right after the accident and refused treatment yada yada. The a couple days later and next couple weeks that followed she had splitting headaches. Evidently without knowing it she hit her head on the side window really hard, and because she A. refused treatment at the scene and B. had a history of migrains had to fight really hard to get any money out of them for the time she missed from work (I think it was about two weeks) It wasn't a migrain (that has never lasted that long before or since) it was splitting headaches that came on for no reason and would almost drop her when they hit.

The car was no big deal, it was right on the line and they threw up the option to fix or replace. It was fixed and back in the driveway about the time she was able to drive again.

Let them take their beatings, they will work towards your direction some just to get the thing wrapped up. Only problem is that if it is your only vehicle you will be in limbo for awhile until they see it your way.

Last edited:

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
When I totaled the front end of my 20k dollar Mercedes, it was 10 grand and keep it, or give it up and receive a 1499.00 dollar check. I went with the check.

mariajames01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
USA
Transmission
Automatic
So sorry to hear about this! How’s your buddy doing now? I hope the other party’s insurance in paying for this. If they are, you should definitely get looked at for injuries, especially whiplash. As for the truck, it’s very sad, but just an object at the end of the day, the fact that you guys are alive is what’s important. Besides, if the other guy is found responsible and his insurance pays, you can have your truck fixed without having to pay a deductible or worrying about increases in auto insurance quotes.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4Cyl, 2.9 EFI V6
Transmission
Manual
Yeah allstate gave me the run around.. No payout. My buddy is all better, it just killed his ski season! I already fixed my truck. (New rear axle, and clutch while I was at it). My insurance agent said there was no way this was my fault and he is going to take this up with allstate so we will see! Thanks everyone for the concern!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals