• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 Strange idle

TillamookB2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have an 88 B2 with the 2.9. Occasionally it will die if I'm turning the wheel sharply with my foot off the gas. Like, going into a parking space. If I leave it to idle, as in a drive-thru or warming up for a few minutes in the morning, it'll rev up a little, down a little, up a little, down a little. It'll go on like that for a while. And then die. Sometimes, it'll just die when I take my foot off the gas.
But, it always starts and when given throttle, it runs just fine. I'm just getting really frustrated with having to start it all the time. We just 'serviced' the catalytic converter and I cleaned the air filter. So, it shouldn't have problems breathing. Any ideas what might be causing problems?

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm not a mechanic but I'm thinking fuel pressure. Maybe when you turn into a parking spot your stirring up the fuel and sediment/rust causing fuel pressure to drop. The idle could also be caused by this (I guess). Say you have a weak fuel pump , trash in the tank and clogged fuel filters ,... I assume it would cause the engine to die or rev up due to a lean condition.

Atleast try changing the fuel filters and see if it gets any better.

Just a guess :dunno:

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
One more thing, I guess the fuel pressure regulator could have some part to do with it too. You can test your fuel pressure. I just don't know how to do it. LOL :)
Good luck

BabyBronco89

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
sounds to me like you could have a cracked or bad spark plug if its shorting out everytime your steering box hits the spark plug wires happend to me just the other day
same symptoms you described
just my 2 cents

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think you have two seperate issues.
1. Dies while turning.....sounds like an electrical issue maybe...something along the line of what BabyBronco89 said. (could also be in the wireing of the steering column)
2. Idleing up and down...Mine did that and went away when I replaced the TFI. I relocated it at the same time away from the original location at the rear of the 2.9 engine.

Mike828

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Did you check for codes?
Have you tried cleaning the IAC?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals