• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gas tank strap hanger?

Curtludwig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So heres a weird one, I guess my truck ('03 Ranger extended cab 4x4) was parked near the ocean or something, its got some very odd rust problems.
The latest one is that the rear gas tank strap hanger is rusted off. Its not the tank strap itself but the HANGER the strap attaches to at the driver's side. Its a finger kind of thing that grabs the t-handle end of the strap. Its riveted to the frame.

Ford sez "Sorry kid, wanna buy a new truck?" which is the same thing they said when the spare tire carrier rotted out and the spare tire nearly fell on the road.

Strangely my '96 Dodge never had these kinds of problems even with twice the mileage, nor my '88 GMC which had rocker panels that flapped in the wind...

Anyway junkyards don't even want to talk to me about something like this. Anybody got a junker they'd sell me the thing off of?

The trick to getting the rivets out (I got loads of practice on this with the spare tire fiasco) is to use a 3/8" cobalt drill bit, drill in about 1/4", then switch to a 1/2" cobalt bit (anything else is wasting time) and drill in about 3/8" at which point the head of the rivet should come right off. Then stick a punch up in the hole, whack it with the BFH and the other end of the rivet should fly away. Takes about 3 minutes, my 19v cordless can do about 8 of them before a recharge.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Ford recalled over 1 million F series trucks just this week for rusted tank straps. Call your local dealer and tell them you are concerned about it. Maybe they can get it replaced for you. But if it is really old I doubt it.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
By the way, check Ebay for that hanger part. The strap is in good shape, right? Too bad Ford does not want to help most of it's loyal owners. They lie and cheat to keep from having to fix some body's car for free. Most dealers would bend over backwards to help. Last month one of my buddies took his 2007 Dodge Ram with 65,000 miles on it in to ask about a noisy rattle in his dash. They gave him a loner and told him to come back the next day. They fixed it for no charge. He will buy another Dodge and he used to have an F250 for a few years but had so many issues with it he got pissed and traded it for the Ram.

Curtludwig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The straps are fine, the hanger is riveted to the frame so the dealer can't get the part without getting a new frame. Ebay has nothing even like what I need.

I don't consider '03 "really old", its not even 10 years old for cryin out loud. I commute in an '84 Mercedes which I've never had a problem getting parts for, usually cheaper than parts on the Ranger. I think I'm going to end up like your buddy with this being my last Ford.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
By the way, check Ebay for that hanger part. The strap is in good shape, right? Too bad Ford does not want to help most of it's loyal owners. They lie and cheat to keep from having to fix some body's car for free. Most dealers would bend over backwards to help. Last month one of my buddies took his 2007 Dodge Ram with 65,000 miles on it in to ask about a noisy rattle in his dash. They gave him a loner and told him to come back the next day. They fixed it for no charge. He will buy another Dodge and he used to have an F250 for a few years but had so many issues with it he got pissed and traded it for the Ram.
There's a Carl's Jr. by my house that always has cold food, has slow service, and the place is always a mess. It wouldn't be fair for me to judge the entire Carl's Jr. franchise from the experiences I have at this one location.

The same goes for dealers. I took my Stang (well out of warranty at the time) to a dealer for a noise that started shortly after I had motor mounts replaced. They took my car in, found one of the new mounts was loose and tightened it up. No charge. The same dealer gave me the little plastic clips for the door handles on my Explorer. I know for a fact if I took it to one of the other dealers in particular in Salt Lake, I would have been charged for my time on the rack, and for the clips as well.

Curtludwig, try a different dealer. Every dealer wants to sell you something. Sometimes you get a genuine person behind the counter, and you'll get better results.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Too bad Ford does not want to help most of it's loyal owners. They lie and cheat to keep from having to fix some body's car for free.
Excuse me?

What?

HUH?!?

Ford puts out more voluntary safety, customer satisfaction, and compliance recalls than any other manufacturer. These are things that most companies let go because the affected vehicles are so old that its "no longer their problem" that Ford spends millions to fix for customer service.

And every dealer has parts that aren't serviced. Everyone. From the get go.

So a guy in Massachusetts happens to have a non-service part fail due to conditions that it is regularly subjected to that are known to cause failure, on a vehicle that is now almost 10 years old. And that constitutes "lying and cheating"?

Ford just paid to fix how many Windstars that should really be off the road by now anyway. I don't see anyone offering to fix the rust on my vehicles just because I'm in a state that uses salt in the winter.You don't see me whining or calling foul because the parts aren't available anymore.

You know what I do? I go to the got-dang junk yard and hike around until I find one that is worth taking. Then I take it.

Sounds like the OP is already well versed in removing frame rivets, maybe he should give that a shot.

And as for the F-150 recall that was just put out, that only affects certain production runs from certain plants. It is not a blanket recall like the Windstar one. I'll post the complete dealer bulletin if you'd like.

Last edited:

lneidlinger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There seems to be a lot of Ford hating that goes on in this forum, strange as it's a forum for a series of very popular Ford vehicle (see:trolling)

Anyways, I have to agree with adsm08, I took my ranger to our local Ford dealer just to ask the back counter parts guy (he knew my dad through their car club) if he might happen to know why mah truck won't move when the shifter is in OD. He just said to pull it around and about an hour later now it works, no charge. He said they replaced the OD solenoid and checked the trans cooler's flow to make sure it wasn't stopped up. I guess it's a pretty common problem with A4LD's and they had a few of those replacement solenoids laying around that haven't been touched.

Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Adsm08, what is the Windstar recall for?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Adsm08, what is the Windstar recall for?
Giving headaches and getting high.

There are two of them. One for rear axle corrosion/cracking/perforation and one for the subframe cracking/rusting/losing the rear control arm brackets to rust.

Both are exclusively for vehicles registered or previously operated for a long period in "high corrosion" states.

The fumes from metal bonding adhesive for the reinforcement kits for the ones that weren't damaged gives you a headache. The fumes from so much triple expanding foam and so much of the anti-corrosion coat being used in such a small area gets you high.

EDIT: And most of these vans that were repaired under the recall were NOT worth saving. Most of them weren't even worth their weight in scrap.

Last edited:

Musick17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
anyway junkyards don't even want to talk to me about something like this. Anybody got a junker they'd sell me the thing off of?
make one!! :d

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Giving headaches and getting high.

There are two of them. One for rear axle corrosion/cracking/perforation and one for the subframe cracking/rusting/losing the rear control arm brackets to rust.

Both are exclusively for vehicles registered or previously operated for a long period in "high corrosion" states.

The fumes from metal bonding adhesive for the reinforcement kits for the ones that weren't damaged gives you a headache. The fumes from so much triple expanding foam and so much of the anti-corrosion coat being used in such a small area gets you high.

EDIT: And most of these vans that were repaired under the recall were NOT worth saving. Most of them weren't even worth their weight in scrap.
Why is this crap happening? I could see something like this happening years ago but not today. Today we have so much modern technology, correct?. I worked for a Chevy dealership years ago and they treated every customer like they were the only people who ever bought a car from them. If somebody brought in a car out of warranty and had a loose part or a funny rattle the techs took care of it for free. Door out of adjustment, window rattle...fixed for free. Those were the good old days. My Ford dealership used to be like that as well. I took my 86 GT back in one day to see about a shifter issue. It was 9 months out of warranty but they fixed it for free. Today, this Ford dealership will not do anything like that and most other dealerships won't do anything like they used to either. I just believe that the romance is over with customer care. I see and hear from people who take their Fords and other makes in for service and try to get something done they are not happy about the results and then leave frustrated. I will buy a good used Ford car or truck, but I will never buy a new Ford ever again. I don't want something to cause a fire and burn my house down and maybe kill my pets. Ford had those issues with the electrics awhile ago and this caused a few burned vehicals and homes. But, like you said the reacalls have been anounced and other makes do a recall as well...they have to or wind up loosing everything.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Why is what happening? The rust issues, or the lack of free service?

The rust issues happen because things rust. Especially when exposed to large amounts of salt over time. I guess Ford decided that certain batches of their anti-rust stuff weren't performing to their standards and recalled the vehicles that were treated with it.

As for the lack of free service, it's the economy. In the good times companies can absorb stuff like that. They can pay the techs to fix those things without charging the customer. And believe me, the techs did get paid or they wouldn't have done it. These days, especially in areas like Florida where so many people are retired, living on fixed incomes, and now wondering if the money they saved is going to last, times are harder. The business simply can't afford to do that anymore. If the shop gives away a bunch of little services, great, they helped the customer, one of the main goals of business has been achieved. But if they bankrupt themselves doing it and go out of business, who can they help then?

Another part of it is that the manufacturers used to give the dealership so much money each year to fix little things like that shortly after the warranty was expired. In the last 3 years most manufacturers have doubled (if not tripled) the length of their bumper to bumper warranties, and along with that they have greatly reduced those funds.

Now my shop is doing great. We are so busy that we are actually making customers mad with out scheduling because we simply can't get them in the door for +2 weeks in some cases. That's with extended hours. I can't tell you how many little things like what you described that I do for people at no charge. Heck the other week I did about $300 of work to a guys car, out of warranty, at no charge to him, when he didn't even buy it from us. A few of his family members had just bought vehicles from us so we PRed his bill. We can afford to do it just for the customer service factor and we do. Maybe you just need to change your geography a bit there Cat.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Why is what happening? The rust issues, or the lack of free service?

The rust issues happen because things rust. Especially when exposed to large amounts of salt over time. I guess Ford decided that certain batches of their anti-rust stuff weren't performing to their standards and recalled the vehicles that were treated with it.

As for the lack of free service, it's the economy. In the good times companies can absorb stuff like that. They can pay the techs to fix those things without charging the customer. And believe me, the techs did get paid or they wouldn't have done it. These days, especially in areas like Florida where so many people are retired, living on fixed incomes, and now wondering if the money they saved is going to last, times are harder. The business simply can't afford to do that anymore. If the shop gives away a bunch of little services, great, they helped the customer, one of the main goals of business has been achieved. But if they bankrupt themselves doing it and go out of business, who can they help then?

Another part of it is that the manufacturers used to give the dealership so much money each year to fix little things like that shortly after the warranty was expired. In the last 3 years most manufacturers have doubled (if not tripled) the length of their bumper to bumper warranties, and along with that they have greatly reduced those funds.

Now my shop is doing great. We are so busy that we are actually making customers mad with out scheduling because we simply can't get them in the door for +2 weeks in some cases. That's with extended hours. I can't tell you how many little things like what you described that I do for people at no charge. Heck the other week I did about $300 of work to a guys car, out of warranty, at no charge to him, when he didn't even buy it from us. A few of his family members had just bought vehicles from us so we PRed his bill. We can afford to do it just for the customer service factor and we do. Maybe you just need to change your geography a bit there Cat.
I am referring to 'why is this crap happening' as why are we Americans having all these recalls with things that should never happen in the first place? These recalls should never happen. These car companies have been building cars for years and we should not have any issues with a bolt mounted to a steering nut being the wrong grade so it sheers off on some poor owner at highway speed, cruise controls that won't disengage or catch on fire, wheels that fall off at speed, vehicals that roll over after all the test these companies say they do and all the safety test that are supposed to have been done for consumers. Like I said...it is not just Ford of course. But Ford should step up to the plate and take a better look at what they are doing when they design a new vehicle or upgrade an existing model and inspect all their materials first before starting that assembly line!!

Curtludwig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Lets get one thing straight, I'm not a Ford hater but this one is trying my patience. I bought it used at the end of '08. At that time it had, for all practical purposes, no rust. Within a year a rust hole developed in the bed. I figure its just bad luck and weld that hole back up (after dismounting the bed, etc.) and put a paint on bedliner on.
This year the spare tire about fell off when the carrier rotted out. More bad luck I guess, that also drops the gas tank canister and causes the "check engine" light to come on.

So I ended up spending ~$150 to get a new spare tire carrier and about 2 hours cleaning it up (the anti-rust goo Ford used on it is pretty pitiful and dissolves with gas) and repainting only to discover it can't be installed in one piece. 3 more hours had the pan split and tabs welded on so it can be installed in two pieces and joined back together.

Also I've noticed where the rear brake hardline joins the soft line that goes to the axle theres a mount that rivets to the frame, thats rotted off too... Ford says the part is not available. Thats all added to the gas tank strap mount which is rotted off and "not available". Oh I almost forgot, the only other body rot is the gas tank door which is rotting from under the paint... Ford wants ~$100 for one unpainted.

So anyway I'll also say the dealership guys treated me nice enough but the parts I want are unavailable. I'll try another dealership but if the parts don't exist I don't know what they can do. Musick17 is right, I'll probably end up making one, I was just hoping (since I've spent way too much time on this stupid truck) that somebody had one.

Finally adsm08, 10 years old is NOT an old truck. I drive an '84 Mercedes 110 miles every single day. Are you suggesting that in 2003 Ford's rust prevention techniques are not as good as Mercedes from 20 years previous? That sucks. My '96 Dodge Dakota had no serious underbody rust at 222,000 miles when I traded it for the Ranger. If the transmission and transfer case in the Dodge hadn't been giving up I'd have kept it. The Ranger is a better woods truck but the Dakota v8 had more power (no surprise), got just as good gas mileage (wait, what?) and rode better down the paved road.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am referring to 'why is this crap happening' as why are we Americans having all these recalls with things that should never happen in the first place? These recalls should never happen. These car companies have been building cars for years and we should not have any issues with a bolt mounted to a steering nut being the wrong grade so it sheers off on some poor owner at highway speed, cruise controls that won't disengage or catch on fire, wheels that fall off at speed, vehicals that roll over after all the test these companies say they do and all the safety test that are supposed to have been done for consumers. Like I said...it is not just Ford of course. But Ford should step up to the plate and take a better look at what they are doing when they design a new vehicle or upgrade an existing model and inspect all their materials first before starting that assembly line!!
The F-150's have been bouncing thru salt laden streets for 7-14 years, they are going to rust. As a whole they have been a lot better than any truck before them.

Ford is doing a stand up job taking care of this IMO, because of both the age of the trucks and the fact that the vast majority of trucks are fine and need no attention at all.

Lets get one thing straight, I'm not a Ford hater but this one is trying my patience. I bought it used at the end of '08. At that time it had, for all practical purposes, no rust. Within a year a rust hole developed in the bed. I figure its just bad luck and weld that hole back up (after dismounting the bed, etc.) and put a paint on bedliner on.
This year the spare tire about fell off when the carrier rotted out. More bad luck I guess, that also drops the gas tank canister and causes the "check engine" light to come on.

So I ended up spending ~$150 to get a new spare tire carrier and about 2 hours cleaning it up (the anti-rust goo Ford used on it is pretty pitiful and dissolves with gas) and repainting only to discover it can't be installed in one piece. 3 more hours had the pan split and tabs welded on so it can be installed in two pieces and joined back together.

Also I've noticed where the rear brake hardline joins the soft line that goes to the axle theres a mount that rivets to the frame, thats rotted off too... Ford says the part is not available. Thats all added to the gas tank strap mount which is rotted off and "not available". Oh I almost forgot, the only other body rot is the gas tank door which is rotting from under the paint... Ford wants ~$100 for one unpainted.

So anyway I'll also say the dealership guys treated me nice enough but the parts I want are unavailable. I'll try another dealership but if the parts don't exist I don't know what they can do. Musick17 is right, I'll probably end up making one, I was just hoping (since I've spent way too much time on this stupid truck) that somebody had one.

Finally adsm08, 10 years old is NOT an old truck. I drive an '84 Mercedes 110 miles every single day. Are you suggesting that in 2003 Ford's rust prevention techniques are not as good as Mercedes from 20 years previous? That sucks. My '96 Dodge Dakota had no serious underbody rust at 222,000 miles when I traded it for the Ranger. If the transmission and transfer case in the Dodge hadn't been giving up I'd have kept it. The Ranger is a better woods truck but the Dakota v8 had more power (no surprise), got just as good gas mileage (wait, what?) and rode better down the paved road.
Do you know where your truck came from? Some states use some very nasty crap (like calcium cloride) for snow/ice control. Don't care what it is it will eat iron alive. I can run up on the hill and snap a couple pics of what calcium cloride does to a heavy galvanized tractor rim that will give you nightmares. The northeast is really bad about using that, it gives me the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals