• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1990 2.9 manual ranger 302 conversion

AG Builds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Im looking to swap a 302 into my 90 ranger. It is 2wd, manual. I was wondering what all i would need. What other trucks/cars can i use for the engine, wiring harnesss, and ecu? If i were to go carburated what exactly would i need to get the fuel to the engine? As for the transmission, would a manual transmission from a obs f150 fit under the ranger with mild massaging of the transmission tunnel?

prymetime1

Reaction score
Hi ag. There's a bunch of info out there on this swap already. A lot of ppl will use an explorer donor for the drivetrain, harness and ECU. U can put any 302 in there but some of the parts to make it fit right are motor mounts, headers, oilpan (doubt hump). Mustang 5.0s work but still need the conversion headers. If u go carb, u could possibly use a regulator to get the fuel pressure down. Or use a different fuel system all together. There's a few builds in the v8 section here that address most of your questions.

Not sure about the f150 transmission. Others will chime in on that.

What's the general plan for the truck?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

AG Builds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hi ag. There's a bunch of info out there on this swap already. A lot of ppl will use an explorer donor for the drivetrain, harness and ECU. U can put any 302 in there but some of the parts to make it fit right are motor mounts, headers, oilpan (doubt hump). Mustang 5.0s work but still need the conversion headers. If u go carb, u could possibly use a regulator to get the fuel pressure down. Or use a different fuel system all together. There's a few builds in the v8 section here that address most of your questions.

Not sure about the f150 transmission. Others will chime in on that.

What's the general plan for the truck?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Thank you for the reply. The general build is a drift/drag truck. I’m wanting a little more power so I can drift and be able to take it to the strip occasionally. I know I can turbo my V6 but a built V8 just sounds better in many ways. I’ll definitely look around other Builds on here. Thank you!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals