• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch and transmission fun

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A couple weeks ago the 1/2 shift fork in my M5ODR2 failed and I loss those gears at a very inopportune moment on a steep uphill 90 degree turn. A quick shift to 3rd and smoking the clutch got her over the top and home. I diagnosed it, bought new shift forks and installed them and then it would stick in second gear, so I gave up, yanked the trans and took it to a shop where they replaced the shift forks again and told me it was all good.

Meanwhile, I did all the stuff one ought to do when you're in there: pilot bearing, rear main seal, new clutch/pressure plate, flywheel refinish, slave cylinder, and throwout bearing. After 6 or 7 hours of transmission/transfer case wrestling I got it all back together last Friday. Bled the slave cylinder, cranked her up only to find the clutch would not disengage to allow any gear selection. Bled it again and again. No go. Removed the master cylinder and bled it (yes, I know the proper procedure and have done it successfully before). No air bubbles were observed in the bleeding process. Still no clutch release. The master cylinder is a used JY piece that I installed when I did the V8 swap. The only thing I can figure is that the master cylinder is bad and won't supply enough travel to disengage the clutch. I ordered a new one and I sure hope it works. I'm not looking forward to hours on the concrete pulling the transfer case and transmission one more time.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
:sad:I'm still whining like a lost puppy. Bought a new master cylinder and bled it twice. No leaks anywhere. Ran half a bottle of brake fluid through the slave after I connected the master. Clutch pedal feels and acts just like it did with the old master cylinder. It will not disengage the clutch to get into any gear.

At this point I have to assume the slave is defective unless someone gives me a better idea. I'm really not looking forward to all this practice removing and installing the transfer case and transmission

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Can you have someone else operate the clutch while you watch the slave cylinder through the inspection hole? Maybe the hydraulic parts are fine but something else got mixed up during re-assembly.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
correct pp?

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Next steps: 1. as suggested have someone operate the clutch while I check through the access hole for movement. 2. make sure no wires from the O2 sensors got caught between the trans and the block. 3. do the diagnosis of clutch master shaft movement and slave movement.

I checked all the part numbers and compared parts taken out to parts installed during the process so I'm sure the right parts are in there.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I kept working on it and had someone push the clutch pedal while I took video of the movement(can't get your head up in there on a 4x4) The slave does move, but not enough. Next I checked the travel on the master cylinder pushrod. It is about 1/4 inch before I get resistance. I took the master cylinder out again and bench bled it. I couldn't move the pushrod in at all once I completed the bleed. Reinstalled master cylinder, connected QD to transmission, bled 4 ounces of brake fluid through slave cylinder and checked the pushrod again--still 1/4 inch travel before any resistance. Clutch still won't disengage. I have to conclude that the slave cylinder is the problem :sad: Looks like I get to do it all over again--practice makes perfect:temper:

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Try removing the clutch master cylinder from the fire wall and tipping it upside down. Tap on the side with a wrench and let it sit over night upside down to remove any trapped air.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There is an end to all this madness of clutch master and slave bleeding:yahoo:

I'm only posting this so others who encounter this won't give up on bench bleeding the sucker and may be able to find a solution for their particular issue.

Took it all apart, checked every part number to be correct, put it all back together with a new slave cylinder and of course it didn't change anything. Bench bled the master again, followed by reinstall, bled slave and still didn't work. I've concluded that the quick connector must be leaking air into the system since my bench bleeding always resulted in an 1/8 inch or less of shaft movement on the master, but as soon as I connected to the slave and bled it the shaft had more play. I pulled out my 25 year old MityVac pump and vacuum bled the slave a couple times and still got the same result.

Sooooo,I removed the master again, replaced the hydraulic line to the slave with the Dorman part, bench bled it again, reinstalled, bled the slave and it now goes into 1st and reverse with just a little extra effort. I left it sit overnight and hopefully it will continue to work Friday when I get back to it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals