• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mechanical Fuelpump question

HvyFt4spd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302ci
Transmission
Manual
My credo
You'd learn faster with your ears open and your mouth shut!
In searching old threads I found posts that noted the 70-73 Econoline with power steering inverted fuelpump was not actually necessary. However there was no mention of what style pump was used and if it could be installed or removed with the engine in the chassis.

I ask for two reasons #1 right now I'm having difficulty locating a quality swap type pump available for purchase without a month's wait and #2 I'd rather a more common or rebuildable piece in case of a failure on the road.

I did an intro with more details but basically I'm cleaning up an 83 2wd that was previously 302 swapped and making a few changes to use it as a daily shop truck. I'm in a tight spot and need to get her back on the road ASAP so I'd greatly appreciate any leads or information that might save me some time.
* Edit My thought was to try an Edelbrock style pump which can have the base indexed to reposition the inlet/outlet. These are rather shallow but larger in diameter than factory based designs.

Thanks, Dan

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Watch out for your front belt drive clearance too.

I have a Mr Gasket 12S electric pump in mine, I had no room for a mechanical even before I went to the Explorer belt drive system. They were around $40 (7 years ago when I did the swap) and in stock at the local O'Reilly's.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would also suggest an electric pump.

HvyFt4spd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302ci
Transmission
Manual
My credo
You'd learn faster with your ears open and your mouth shut!
Pump

Thanks guys but I've always had longer life out of a mechanical pump so whenever possible I use them in street applications. For something wilder or driven less, sure but on this part of why I like the truck is that everything is simple and mechanical.

I actually have a "mighty mite" pump on it now which is the basis of the small Mr Gasket/Holley electric pumps you find at chain stores. Same pump just no flashy package or molded color cover. We use the low pressure model on VW sandrails and such when the provision for a fuel pump is blocked by an aftermarket distributor or if a late model EFI block is used. It's rather bullet proof and quiet to be fair but when they do go out there is little if any warning. Just pop it's dead and you're stuck... I'm also not interested in listening to another Holley rotor pump unless it's in something loud /serious enough to drown out the whine. No different than any cruise night where all you hear are electric fans and fuel pumps instead of the lope of the cam these days.

FWIW Advance Adapters has the replacement type inverted pump in stock at $89 and shipping. I also finally found a guy at NAPA that understood what I was after. $58 plus $20-$30 shipping from the West coast...5 days out if you need one. It sounds like that's the easy way out but I'd still like to know if a regular pump of any style will work, mostly so I could get something rebuildable. If no one chimes in here I'll report back so maybe it helps the next guy.

*Also in regards to the belt clearance issue could you be more specific for future reference? Most of my Ford 289/302 stuff has been Vbelt Falcon, Mustang, Fairlane etc. but I've had one early 5.0 and installed a few aftermarket serpentine sets with short waterpumps without an issue other than needing to index the inlet/outlet, reroute lines or use 90degree fittings.

Thanks, Dan

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There are some setups that move the accessories around that might interfere with a pump pointed to the front.

With the Explorer setup I don't even have provisions in the timing cover for the pump, the cover is tight enough to the engine the eccentric had to be removed from the cam.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
There are some setups that move the accessories around that might interfere with a pump pointed to the front.

With the Explorer setup I don't even have provisions in the timing cover for the pump, the cover is tight enough to the engine the eccentric had to be removed from the cam.
I'm using mostly Towncar parts on the 64, with a carb front cover, and I had to cut down the eccentric to make it fit.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals