• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Electrical problems in newly purchased '95 Ranger

ildd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey all, last Thursday I bought a 1995 Ranger XLT. Has the 3L V6 and the 5-speed. When I test drove it, everything worked like it should have; speedometer, gas gauge, temp and pressure, and the battery level. The odometer didn't work (reads 108k) but I wasn't too concerned about it. Every light works inside and out, and cruise control works. I've tried doing some research but I can't find a situation identical to mine.
I wasn't able to drive it home until Friday night. I got in the car and went about half a mile before I realized none of the gauges worked now. I still had my OBDII Bluetooth device hooked up to the truck and my phone, so I wasn't concerned about it at the time. I had a spot-on speedo, tach and whatever else I wanted in my hands. Well, about half way home (30 miles) the ABS light kicked in and boom, all the gauges worked now. The ABS light went off after about 30 seconds, but all the gauges still worked. I thought I was clear.
But no, I drove it the next day, just to get more of a feel of driving a truck (my other car is a Miata so it's a bit different) and nothing worked except the pressure and temp gauges. I kept driving it, in hopes of it would work again, but it didn't. And nothing has since, except the temp/pressure gauges and the gas gauge. So... things I'm going to do are change a few of the fuses, maybe order the speed and ABS sensor, but what else?
Oh, and it also has an aftermarket am/fm/cassette radio that doesn't work. I just changed the fuse and still nothing, so I have no idea if that's even getting power or if the speakers even work.

Thanks in advance.

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
I would check all the grounds, also pull the cluster to make sire everything is connected well. Before that, check the fuse for the cluster.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals