• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Smoke.......help!

mattysouth85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I havent had my bronco long, a few months maybe, and I have dumped some serious cash in it. I got it from my uncle for a grand with a fresh engine in it but it needed a tranny, so I bought that for 1200. So next on list was change the oil. By the way this truck runs perfect, no noises, leaks, it has a perfect idle, stock everything sounds and runs new. Well got the oil changed, put Motorcraft 10w30 in it, Motorcraft oil filter.Now it smokes white, not enough to smoke the road out, but enough for me to be like wtf! Though it smokes now it still runs perfect and you can pop the hood and it has no wierd smells. The exhaust smells though. The temp is perfect, what the hell? Can anybody give me a suggestion? Im no mechanic at all.

marcuspur

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well it could be piston rings or the seals on the valves posably running to rich (not sure but i think this can cause some smoke) or maybe its just cold out lol

mattysouth85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well it could be piston rings or the seals on the valves posably running to rich (not sure but i think this can cause some smoke) or maybe its just cold out lol
Cold, I wish more like 90. its just weird, it happend right after the oil change.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Are you losing coolant and does it just smoke when warming up or all the time. You can pull the codes and see if anything pops up. The cat pulls alot of moisture in it when you shut it down white smoke and moisture out the tailpipe is normal does it smell like cat or fuel.

mattysouth85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Are you losing coolant and does it just smoke when warming up or all the time. You can pull the codes and see if anything pops up. The cat pulls alot of moisture in it when you shut it down white smoke and moisture out the tailpipe is normal does it smell like cat or fuel.
Coolant is fine, it does smell like oil/fuel in the exhaust. Smells like an old ratty 70's car exhaust now. My bronco does have a carb but like i said she still runs perfect even with the smoke.

mattysouth85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
smokes the whole time. Less when I run it longer, but its still present.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Put a new PCV valve in it and adjust the carb and check for vacuum leaks.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Also put a new breather cap filter in the air cleaner with a new air filter do all the preventative maint stuff first to many people neglect the pcv and breather filter as a regular maint they are cheap and affect performance.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Guys, white smoke.

Remember your colors.

Black is fuel
Blue is oil
White is COOLANT!!!!

How's the water level? Pull plugs and look for one that looks steam cleaned.

mattysouth85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
New development to the story, smoke is actually blueish white, so yeah pretty much burning oil. Greeeeeaaaattttt. Still runs perfect tho. So yea bout to have to get it worked on. This thing is quickly becoming a money pit.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
5-oh 5-oh 5-oh.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If the compression is good focus on vacuum first pcv egr cracked lines and gaskets use a length of vacuum line and put one end up to your ear and search all the gaskets and hoses and fittings with the other end be careful of moving parts. I always start cheapest first you have to have everything connected to troubleshot it including the IAT sensor in the filter housing and all vacuum lines. A common mistake is the egr bleed solenoid either leave it disconnected or plug it into the large fitting under the back side of the air horn on the carb the flat round thing the filter housing sits on.

zdewald

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
we had a new forklift at work that got negleted and missed about 4 oil changes! it didnt burn any oil at all. than 1 day some one realized that no one changed it and when it got changed it somked and used oil. when they changed it it flushed out all the crap and let the oil get around the rings. so hope its something not searous like that

mattysouth85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
we had a new forklift at work that got negleted and missed about 4 oil changes! it didnt burn any oil at all. than 1 day some one realized that no one changed it and when it got changed it somked and used oil. when they changed it it flushed out all the crap and let the oil get around the rings. so hope its something not searous like that
My uncle was saying something like that, I hope its simple. Well im gonna drop it off at my mechanics house this week and see what the deal is. If its gonna cost too much to fix, engine swap is on the way.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals