• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

elctric fan conversion problems on 1990 bronco 2

90bronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
hello this is my first post to this site.... i have a 1990 bronco 2 and my cooling fan bearing has alot of play, i have since gone to a parts store and gotten myself an electric fan. its a bad design in my opinion as you have to install a switch.

is there anyway to avoid the switch and have it start when the vehicle starts?

ThatGuy

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
The switch is so the engine can get up to operating temp. then the fan can regulate it. If you wire it directly so it comes on with the key then you will run rich cuz your engine isn't getting warm enough.

marcuspur

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yes if you check the fuse panel and find one that only turns on with the key in the run position and check to make sure it dosent draw to much power from whatever the fuse is used for like the radio or whatever it may be and also check to see if it turns off at anytime like if you turn on the headlights or anything else you can check this with a test light be for you run any wires
hope this helps

marcuspur

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ThatGuy is right it will run rich untill it gets to operating temp you might also be able to get a temp switch to go into your motor at a water line and it would turn on when it gets hot

90bronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
ThatGuy is right it will run rich untill it gets to operating temp you might also be able to get a temp switch to go into your motor at a water line and it would turn on when it gets hot
alright, i think ill go with the switch, also with my original mechanical fan, i can just remove the fan itself, and leave the pulleys alone right?

marcuspur

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yes but u might need to get shorter bolts or washers if the original ones are to long

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
yes but u might need to get shorter bolts or washers if the original ones are to long
Not neccessary....His mechanical fan just spins off the water pump, no need for mods...
SVT

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
some kits have a set up to come on when it gets to a certain temp

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Mwith my original mechanical fan, i can just remove the fan itself, and leave the pulleys alone right?
More than just can, you have to. If you take the pulley off the water pump won't be getting driven by anything.

90bronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
what tools do i need to remove the mechanical fan? i cant get the pulley to stop rotating but for the larger bolt im using channellocks and i can get to that fairly easy

igiveup

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello

I used a small pipe wrench. I can't remember which way it turns to come off. My 85 had a e-fan and my 88 I just installed the one from my 85 and it works nice. I still have to wire up the auto fan switch for it but on manual I have off, low, high.

igiveup

90bronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Hello

I used a small pipe wrench. I can't remember which way it turns to come off. My 85 had a e-fan and my 88 I just installed the one from my 85 and it works nice. I still have to wire up the auto fan switch for it but on manual I have off, low, high.

igiveup
thanks for the quick reply, i have a 1990 bronco 2 2.9 ltr i have to remove all threee belts because im replacing my water pump as well and i cant find anything that would loosen the tension on any of them

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
thanks for the quick reply, i have a 1990 bronco 2 2.9 ltr i have to remove all threee belts because im replacing my water pump as well and i cant find anything that would loosen the tension on any of them
There is no tensioner, each accessory pivots on its bracket and is held in place by bolts. Loosen the bolts and you will be good to go. You can set the belt tension again with a pry bar.

I don't know why the obvious question hasn't been asked yet... why exactly do you want to remove your mechanical fan, and what bearing is bad? Are you talking about the fan clutch? Just replace whatever is worn out, the mechanical fan is just as good as an electric one so you are just trying to reinvent the wheel here.

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I just finished replacing my mechanical fan with a dual electric setup from an LS1 camaro. Had to trim the shroud obviously, but the primary fan is controlled by a thermostatic controller and the secondary I wired to a switch. Only reason I replaced the stock fan was because the clutch was bad and the fan was cracking badly around the hub, between every blade. I had the LS1 fans in the garage from another project, so it was the easiest thing to do.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals