• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cleaning Up - Too Cheap for Duraspark

DenCon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
For now, we have no budget for the Duraspark conversion on my son's '85 B2 auto (it's on our wish list). We have no emissions checks here.
How much of the emissions crap can we strip out? Cat's gutted, smog pump w/plumbing is out.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
none, the carb is dependant on that shit to run, because the computer controls everything. buy the duraspark stuff and make a metering block for your current carb and u can save money on a carb

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
none, the carb is dependant on that shit to run, because the computer controls everything. buy the duraspark stuff and make a metering block for your current carb and u can save money on a carb
Honestly and sincerely, I agree. It's not just the "emissions crap", it's the whole engine management arrangement.

I put off Durasparking my '84 for a long time, wanting to keep it stock. But man I'm glad I did it; it's the best thing you can possibly do for the 2.8.

The factory system sucks, plain and simple, especially with age and wear.

The Duraspark conversion is well worth it, and doesn't cost that much if you do it right. I did mine for well under $200, for everything.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
It cost me about $130 for the ignition parts and you can use that carb if you put a metering block on it. If you can find a donor late 70`s pinto, mustang II with the 2.8 in it you will have everything you need but pulling stuff of the engine for the computer will just get you frustrated I know from personal exp. You can use the stock coil just get the dizzy, cap,rotor,adaptor and module. The wiring is easy you just need a small harness or just hard wire it with three wires to bring that engine to life.http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/2_8Duraspark.html here is the link to the tech library for the conversion and if you need help just ask.

DenCon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
What's a metering block?

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
It replaces the mixture control solenoid on the back of the carb. It's easy to make with hand tools and saves having to find another carb and then rejet it etc. I believe the information is somewhere on the site, perhaps someone remembers where it is.

SR185

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
stock 2.8
Transmission
Automatic
If you buy the pigtails that are listed on the Duraspark instructions, in the library, you won't need a donor harness. All you need to make your own harness is the two pigtails, and 4 lengths of 18 gauge wire about 3 1/2 fit each.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
It replaces the mixture control solenoid on the back of the carb. It's easy to make with hand tools and saves having to find another carb and then rejet it etc. I believe the information is somewhere on the site, perhaps someone remembers where it is.
if u have to ask, its prolly better u buy a new carb, u have to have some basic carb knowledge and a little tuning know how

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
There is a way to remove a lot of that shit and make it run without doing the Duraspark swap. It basically entails leaving the computer, wiring, coil, and distributor in place and running power to each from the computer. You do end up using a different carb though. I can't tell you much more about it besides that it looks like a cluster fawk but it DOES work. I had an '84 Ranger set up that way that I eventually did the Duraspark swap on because it was just too weird.

If you buy the pigtails that are listed on the Duraspark instructions, in the library, you won't need a donor harness. All you need to make your own harness is the two pigtails, and 4 lengths of 18 gauge wire about 3 1/2 fit each.
I do not believe the pigtails are available anymore, better to just clip them from the junkyard. I asked NAPA three different times and they said they are discontinued. No other parts store knew what I was talking about. :(

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
if u have to ask, its prolly better u buy a new carb, u have to have some basic carb knowledge and a little tuning know how
No, you have to have "basic carb knowledge" just to put a new carb on any engine. The metering block mod is not exactly common knowledge. Martin knows what he's talking about. :icon_thumby:

SR185

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
stock 2.8
Transmission
Automatic
There is a way to remove a lot of that shit and make it run without doing the Duraspark swap. It basically entails leaving the computer, wiring, coil, and distributor in place and running power to each from the computer. You do end up using a different carb though. I can't tell you much more about it besides that it looks like a cluster fawk but it DOES work. I had an '84 Ranger set up that way that I eventually did the Duraspark swap on because it was just too weird.

I do not believe the pigtails are available anymore, better to just clip them from the junkyard. I asked NAPA three different times and they said they are discontinued. No other parts store knew what I was talking about. :(
I just purchased both pigtails from NAPA a few weeks ago. I gave them the order numbers listed on the DS instructions, and had them a few days later.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Even without the metering block just do the ignition and it will run alot better than if you run it with half the computer. The metering block is not that hard if you know how to thread drill and cut. All it will do without the block is run a little rich and who knows you might get lucky and the feedback solenoid already is leaking enough to make it run decent. Just do the ignition for now you will be amazed but I do recommend a compression and vacuum test to see if the engine is worth it first.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
i was saying to DenCon if u have to ask what a metering block is u aint ready to make one

DenCon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I do have plenty of carb & FI knowledge - I just need help with identifying the emissions/engine management crap. My Chilton CD manual isn't exactly specific...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals