• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

roof rust

donlightbody

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I've never had to deal with rust until lately so I'm getting frustrated. 88 BII with pitting rust on the roof. I've sanded it and used the dremel to dig out the pits, used the rust remover jelly stuff from walmart, then sprayed with the rust converter from wally and primed. Now a couple months later, I'm seing rust coming through again! WTF!? I live just north of denver so humidity is not the issue an I don't let snow pile up and melt on her. What to do? Experts on rust out there? :icon_confused:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
leaving the bare primer on was probably your mistake. primer is made to be permeated by a top coat...lacking the top coat, it soaks up water, acting like a sponge that holds moisture against the metal.

i had an old rust bucket of an s-10 that i started to clean up and primer one time. i only got the drivers front quarter panel and drivers door done. after the truck got wet, those two body panels would stay dark from moisture for up to a few days after the rest of the truck had dried out.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
Aerosol primer is a waste of time when it comes to protecting metal. If you really want it to stop rusting, you've gotta paint it. And with paint, aerosol is a waste of time too.

fangotango306

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
None yet
Transmission
Automatic
you definitly need a sealer, epoxy pimer will last a bit longer but still needs a top coat.

donlightbody

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys, I didn't think that would be an issue for such a short time, but I also noticed that the primer stayed darker like you said wicked, should've been a clue. It's so hard to get all that crap I've been doing it in small sections but I guess I'll just get it all taken care of at once. Thanks

Stenz

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I would sand and prep it really well and then get some good sealer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals