• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Solar powered?

Bryotch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok so I've had this issue a while but haven't bothered with it since it's been warm. All winter long my truck had problems starting. As soon as it warmed up I didn't seem to have any issues EXCEPT, when it's cloudy or rainy and less than 75 degrees or so. Fuel pressure is good, turns over fine. and even tries to fire once in a while. One thing I've noticed is 80% of the time it does this it smells like its flooded. The only things I haven't really checked (mostly cause I'm not sure how) are the crankshaft sensor and ECM. I've looked over alot of forums and my chilton's didn't help alot. Any help is appreciated. Also, I posted this under urgent because it's starting to cause problems getting to work and appointments on time.

PS Is there any way to test the relay to the ECM?

I pulled the IAT to take a look. Unable to get a good test. Worth replacing?

94 Ranger XLT 3L V6 4x4

Last edited:

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
If you suspect a relay, you might as well just buy a new one, they're not expensive and it never hurts to have a spare.
If you have a scanner that reads live data you could see what the sensors are telling the computer, or not.

Bryotch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm leaning away from the relay. I would think it would be more consistent of a problem, I don't have a scanner that reads live data, is this just a code reader? I Forgot to mention that it isn't throwing any codes.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
some of the code readers will read live data. If one of the sensors is not sending correct information it can cause all kind of problems without setting a fault code.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
Does the 94 still have a distributor? Moisture + cracked/leaking dizzy cap can mean bad times.

Bryotch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It does yes. I had it in the shop not long ago and the supposedly replaced it. Suppose it's worth a check though.

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Cloudy, rainy, I too think moisture.

Distributor cap, rotor, wires.

On my original 88 BII there was a crack in the output port of the coil. While the coil was good and worked fine, that crack (on the underside not visible when inspecting it) was causing the coil output to arc to the chassis when damp.

Son include coil in that list too

Last edited:

Bryotch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Coil replaced already. It seems to be more ambient temp based rather than moisture. I do have a small leak in the exhaust manifold on the passenger side near my IAT and MAF sensors.

Bryotch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just an update, I tested the Connector pin to the MAF and am getting significantly more voltage than normal. What could cause this?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals