• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help with seal part numbers, 96,97 TTB front ends

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Hey all-

I'm doing all the front axle and front end seals in two TTB trucks, a 96 and a 97. Both have the D28/35 hybrid axle. I'm having a real hard time finding some of these seals for the wheel end of the assembly. Hoping some of you can share part numbers for the seals I need, as described below.

There seems to be 4 seals in total at each wheel end, two of which relate to the rotor and two of which relate to the spindle.

1. There is a seal pressed into inner side of the rotor that covers the inner wheel bearing- that one I have been able to find quite easily, no part number needed

2. There is a seal that slips onto the spindle, that goes against the rotor's inner wheel bearing seal. I can not find a replacement seal for this one. I have one intact which has no manufacturer name on it, but has the numbers "46218" and "2RB 63-8" and "2"

3. Next seal is the seal that presses onto the outermost piece of the axle shaft assemblies (I.e., the short shaft that goes through spindle into locking hub) to seal where the axle shaft meets the inner side of the spindle. I have found this seal (National 710453)

4. Lastly, there is a pesky plastic washer-like seal that goes between the 710453 seal and the backside of the hub spindle. I also cannot find a replacement this seal to save my life lol.

If anyone has found replacements for these and can give me part numbers or even a diagram showing the original Ford part numbers either would be hugely appreciated! Thanks in advance.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
#710453 I believe is the inner spindle axle shaft seal, as used on '93-'97 axles.
#710455 should be the outer flange seal that presses onto the outer stub axle shaft ('93-'97).

I've come across inconsistencies when looking up 4WD front wheel & axle seal stuff for our trucks though... (could be related to how when you tell the computer operator at most auto parts chain stores that you have a Dana28 on your '93-'97 truck (or alternately telling them you have a 3.45 gear ratio), you get parts for a '83-'89 truck. :annoyed: )

I've a preference for the earlier style seals used on 1990-1992 D35s, they are 100% the exact same as D44 stuff found on 1973-1992 F-100/150s and Broncos, and therefore seem a little easier to locate without all the hassle (and a good bit cheaper too). They also seem much longer-lived as well.

#1. National or Timken #4250 wheel seal (happen to know this one off top of my head lol)

#2. I can't recall having seen a seal that slips over the spindle and is in contact with the wheel seal... Not sure, maybe you meant the inner stub shaft-to-spindle seal?

#3. National or Timken pt# 722108 for the inner "V"-ring seal that seals the base of the stub shaft to the spindle, pt# 722109 is for the outer lip seal that seals the shaft to the back of the spindle.

#4. I didn't find a # for the gray plastic washer individually, but it is included in this "repair kit":
https://shop.broncograveyard.com/D44-Spindle-Bearing-Repair-Kit/productinfo/22148/

If you happen to need spindle needle bearings, then that kit gets you both the 722108 & 722109 seals along with the bearing and your plastic washer. Again is all same as a D44, so if your bearings are fine, you should be able to find washers at a wrecking yard, they should be exceptionally easy finds (the washer isn't normally a wear item, so shouldn't need replacement unless damaged). Of course at $10, I'd be tempted to buy those "kits" anyway and just not use the bearing (assuming the existing bearing is OEM (or OEM quality) and in good shape).

All these items should fit your '96 axle, however one (ok, two) additional item(s) you will need to source is the metal flange for the #722109 seal that presses onto your outer stub axle shaft, which again should be an easy junkyard snag from a '92 or earlier Explorer, F-150, or Bronco.

Hopefully that helps.

This D35 shaft shows all the above stuff on it (you can see the metal flange just behind the large outer seal):

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
RonD and 4x4Junkie what would I do without you guys!!

The one thing I don't see in your list 4x4Junkie is the seal I found on my brother's 97 that went onto the spindle, behind the inner wheel seal on the rotor. It is quite odd. I did not have them on my 96 Ranger, and they seem totally redundant. If you have a wheel seal, I'm not sure why you would need a seal to seal the wheel seal? :icon_confused: It fits against the wheel seal nicely though so I just put it back. I'll update this thread if I ever find a replacement for it. I did look at a Ford document somewhere that seemed to show it, I'll dig that up eventually. One of them had clearly been replaced which makes things more frustrating since I could not find replacements. I'm wondering if it was a 97 specific thing.

Thanks for all that info. Great to know that there are other application parts that can be used... I had a strong feeling there might be since the TTB went on for so long

I've noticed the discrepancies with auto parts stores, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I usually try to look up parts myself ahead of time because of this lol

Many many many thanks as always! :icon_thumby:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Unless something internal to the housing is needed, I always just tell the guy in front of the computer that the parts I need are for a Dana35 (or in my case since both my rigs were produced basically parallel with TTB Explorers, I just tell them it's for an Explorer).

And if the case of needing something for a D28/35 diff arose, I wouldn't even bother... In would go a real D35 diff.

As for the seal, it sounds to me like something not stock or something extra someone added. Got pics?

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Great tips. I am thinking about swapping a D35 in long term...

I forgot to take pictures but I will get some soon. Definitely odd seals.

I did write down the number I found on the strange seals- it was 2rb 63.8 46218 if that means anything to you?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I did write down the number I found on the strange seals- it was 2rb 63.8 46218 if that means anything to you?
Not really... That # seems to come up possibly as a Chrysler pinion seal, or something to do with a John Deere tractor. Not one site I found had a proper picture of the seal, so I've no clue.

I really very highly doubt it is something Ford (or Dana) put there. I've never seen anything resembling that myself.

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
That is so weird. The "mechanic" that did a lot of work to the truck in question before we bought it clearly didn't have much idea about what he was doing since we had to re do literally everything he had touched, so perhaps he thought it suitable to stick a mopar or tractor seal on there.

I'll get a picture for you for reference and laughs.

Chris

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals