• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1985 Ranger Gearing vs Bad MPGs

bbbc3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
Ok, I'm sure this forum has been beat to death with this question but I didn't see what I was looking for when searching.

I have an 85 4x4 ranger with a 4sp, 3.73 gears and 7.5 rear eand. I get crappy gas mileage! 9 mpg! I just had the engine rebuilt and it runs really nicely but I just can't figure out the bad mpg? Could the gearing be the cause?

Oh and I have 30" tires on 15" rims.

Your thoughts?

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
What motor?

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
I'm thinkin it's your carburetor. You should get almost double that. I can't remember if the 2.8's had a O2 sensor, maybe that needs to be replaced also. But tune up that carb and see if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
I second the motion that it's the carburetor. And yes, 2.8 has one O2, driver's side exhaust manifold...very easy to get to.

bbbc3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
I second the motion that it's the carburetor. And yes, 2.8 has one O2, driver's side exhaust manifold...very easy to get to.
Funny you mention that. As I was under the truck I noticed that the O2 Sensor was removed from the Cat and the hole plugged up.. How hard/expensive is it to replace this sensor?

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
An O2 sensor shouldn't cost you more than about $25 most...but you mentioned the cat. You shouldn't have an O2 downstream...only upstream and it bolts into exhaust manifold.

I suspect your cat had threads for a sensor, but was plugged as it's not needed.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Funny you mention that. As I was under the truck I noticed that the O2 Sensor was removed from the Cat and the hole plugged up.. How hard/expensive is it to replace this sensor?
02 sensors are easy to replace, some rigs run without them but it really does help to have a new healthy one put in there. if the hole is plugged i would iether go to the junkyard and get a new exhaust manifold, or the parts stores sell an adapter piece so you can install an 02 sensor, i think there like 15$ on summit.

i think 1995 was the first year of the down stream o2 sensor? i know my 1994 4.0 only has 2 upstream (before the cat)

also, my buddy had a 2.9 on 31's, the thing was stupid slow and would barely do 70. what is your current gearing?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
When figuring mileage, have you compensated for the different non-stock tire size?
....I just ran some numbers, it seems it's only about 10% different, not enough to make the mileage that bad.
Richard

Last edited:

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
The 4 speed is not helping things. The 2.8 will run quite nicely without the computer plugged in but fuel consumption goes down the toilet. to see if the computer is working, connect a timing light and see if the timing advances as you raise the rpm. Don't start throwing parts at it, diagnose the problem first.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals