• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

m5od-r2 shifter locations

tylermx71

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i just picked up a m5od from a junkyard out of a 97 f150 4.2l . I was under the impression that 97+ 4.2 manuals will work for shifter placement. I have seen pictures with different locations then the one i picked up. This will be going in my 2000 ranger with a 302. its taking the place of the crappy t5. like to know if you guys can clarify this before i go forward with this trans.

This is mine
[/url][/IMG]

heres one ive seen people using in other swaps
[/url][/IMG]

Heres one slightly further forward then mine, im guessing this is used on 5.0s
[/url][/IMG]

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
That second one looks like a ranger m5od, the 4.2l ones shifter is a bit further back but not by a huge amount, not like the middle one.

Went and looked at pics of mine, the one you pulled is not as far back as the one I bought.

Here is a pic of a top cover I pulled at the junkyard. The one on the left is from a 4.2l and the other one is from a v8. I read on a forum that they might have moved it back further after 98.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tylermx71

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the reply, so is it possible for me to swap out the top plate for a 98+ 4.2 shifter? other than the junkyard is there any other place i can purchase a shifter assembly like yours?

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply, so is it possible for me to swap out the top plate for a 98+ 4.2 shifter? other than the junkyard is there any other place i can purchase a shifter assembly like yours?
Honestly I I am not sure on the swap of the towers, I don't see why it wouldn't. I know for a fact the shifter plate from a 4.2L will not fit on a v8 m5od with out shift rail modification.

Also where are you from?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tylermx71

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
ah ok, i mean the shifter really isnt that much far further then the other 4.2 shifter about 2 inchs probably. im down in phoenix, az

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If your truck was a factory manual truck it will have a bigger shifter hole than an automatic truck.

Twister has pics in his thread with how his later M5OD fits in his automatic floor pan.

tylermx71

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
im debating on rebuilding this trans. is there a way to visually insure that it doesn't need a rebuild? im unsure of true miles, but it is clean inside, gears look good, there is a gap between the syncros(2nd has less of a gap then the rest), anything else i can check out to ensure that this trans is ready to use ?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals