• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

propane propane

kaskirov

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
so yesterday i went to a propane refueling station to check the price. it is $0.76/L, vs $1.34/L for gas. my dad's motor home is on a E-450 chassis and can run off gas or propane with the flick of a switch. that means you can get propane kits for fuel injection. i seen kits on the internet for under 4 grand, so it could pay for itself within 4 years. I know propane gets less millage, what kind of cut is it? is propane worth the cost? would it devalue my truck?

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
so yesterday i went to a propane refueling station to check the price. it is $0.76/L, vs $1.34/L for gas. my dad's motor home is on a E-450 chassis and can run off gas or propane with the flick of a switch. that means you can get propane kits for fuel injection. i seen kits on the internet for under 4 grand, so it could pay for itself within 4 years. I know propane gets less millage, what kind of cut is it? is propane worth the cost? would it devalue my truck?
All of the kits that I have found are for carbs, not fuel injection. I am fairly sure that all of the fuel injection propane powered vehicles out there are propane from the factory (most of which I have scene are Ford crown vics). If you have found an after market fuel injection kit it would definitely be something to look into.

hick

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I don't know how much effort I would put into a propane conversion.

We sell propane here for well over $4 a gallon.

I am sure everyone else is not far behind.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
And propane has only 75% the energy content of gasoline, so expect a proportionate mileage drop (if done perfectly). Since stoichiometric for propane is quite different from gasoline, I'd expect some serious fuel trim and HEGO sensor issues.

Not to mention inappropriate compression....

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Propane runs quite well in a carb engine. The conversion is fairly easy and fairly cheap. My "dream rig" would have a propane powered 302.

EFI is a much different story. I would not recommend trying the conversion. With all the time and $$$ you'd spend you could swap a carb motor in, and you might never get the EFI to burn propane correctly.

WildSide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It’s a shame that comparisons are made between gasoline and propane using an engine designed for gasoline, even though gasoline has a higher energy density, propane is the superior and more efficient fuel. If you were to run two optimized engines side by side each designed to run on their specific fuel there would be little difference in mileage or power.
Proper Electronic propane injection systems either gaseous or liquid work very well with no issues on a well designed engine by the way.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It’s a shame that comparisons are made between gasoline and propane using an engine designed for gasoline, even though gasoline has a higher energy density, propane is the superior and more efficient fuel. If you were to run two optimized engines side by side each designed to run on their specific fuel there would be little difference in mileage or power.
Proper Electronic propane injection systems either gaseous or liquid work very well with no issues on a well designed engine by the way.
Umm, BS.

A gallon of propane has 75% as much energy as a gallon of gasoline. The efficiency limit is mostly thermal, plus valve timing, plus geometry (crank position isn't optimal except at one point). None of those changes significantly for propane.

Propane is more "efficient" than gasoline for carbureted engines because it is mixed in gas phase. It is NOT more efficient than properly working EFI.

So, you have no room to make up that 25% loss. Even with perfect compression and perfect stoichiometry.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So what he's saying is, it's better than gasoline in a carbed engine, but not better than gasoline in an EFI engine.

But it's not worth converting. It's more expensive than gasoline when I fill up my bottles. Always has been. For Canadians, maybe not. I don't know. But we are at the point where getting a $1,000 shitbox to drive and keep the Ranger in reserve and for recreation is economically viable.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
So what he's saying is, it's better than gasoline in a carbed engine, but not better than gasoline in an EFI engine.

But it's not worth converting. It's more expensive than gasoline when I fill up my bottles. Always has been. For Canadians, maybe not. I don't know. But we are two years past the point where getting a $1,000 shitbox to drive and keep the Ranger in reserve and for recreation is economically viable.

fixed it for ya...

propane works on efi engines too btw, and there are kits out there.

WildSide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Umm, BS.

A gallon of propane has 75% as much energy as a gallon of gasoline. The efficiency limit is mostly thermal, plus valve timing, plus geometry (crank position isn't optimal except at one point). None of those changes significantly for propane.

Propane is more "efficient" than gasoline for carbureted engines because it is mixed in gas phase. It is NOT more efficient than properly working EFI.

So, you have no room to make up that 25% loss. Even with perfect compression and perfect stoichiometry.
BS BS you are thinking that an engine uses the full potential energy per pound of fuel?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
no he is being reletive.

i fogged my truck with my app torch to go a few miles more then a few times.

its tricky and gets the starter hot but works.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
But it's not worth converting.

No, not for economic purposes.

The reason you run propane is for offroad purposes. It gives you most of the benefits of EFI with the simplicity of a carbed engine, at the cost of a little less power. In the case of an RBV you'd run a 302 though, so you'd end up with about the same power as stock.

Last edited:

ejholmgren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual

But it's not worth converting. It's more expensive than gasoline when I fill up my bottles. Always has been. For Canadians, maybe not. I don't know. But we are at the point where getting a $1,000 shitbox to drive and keep the Ranger in reserve and for recreation is economically viable.
my $1,000 shitbox is a ranger :tease:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

kaskirov

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
wow... didn't expect a whole flame war. so not worth it on fuel injection? oh well, i'll wait for the 2011 trucks....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals