• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ECU Chip for 2.3L ranger

addiman09

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.3 Liter DOHC 5spd
Transmission
Manual
Do they make a ecu chip for the 03 2.3L ranger, i only ask because i can only find chips from edge, which i was referred to, but their lowest liter is 6.0 powerstrokes, any help

Thanks

DemonC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Answer, but more questions...

The only real way to add torque/horsepower to the 2.3L Duratecs is with a tuner and custom tunes. I have been researching this topic for a while now and have narrowed my search down to two providers.

bamachips seems to be the one that has done the most research with the 2.3L, and I've read a lot of good things about the results seen with their tunes. The problem is that their customer service has apparently gone down the pooper recently. I've read numerous posts on different boards about difficulties contacting them. One customer reported waiting more than three weeks for his tuner to arrive, and many complain about lack of response to e-mails. They do not list a phone number on their website.

RoguePerformance has wonderful customer service, but I'm not sure how much research they've done with the 2.3L as they seem to be more focused on other engines. Apparently you receive your custom tunes, log some data with the tuner, and then they will tweak them for you for the first week... but I may have misunderstood this, and I have reservations with this technique versus working with a dyno to achieve the tunes.

The real question is this. If custom tunes give you more torque in a real-world usable range (1500-3500rpm), more horsepower and better mpg, then why aren't they tuned this way from the factory? :icon_confused:

Any input to any of this would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

addiman09

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.3 Liter DOHC 5spd
Transmission
Manual
Well the only reason i ask, is to remove the governor part and move the rev limiter back farther, do u know if they do that??

Reply please

Thanks

DemonC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual

addiman09

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.3 Liter DOHC 5spd
Transmission
Manual
alright man thanks, this is gonna help me alot, my truck topped out a 90 in 4th gear at 4000 rpms.

Thanks again, addison

W04RFR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
What times were you doing?

addiman09

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.3 Liter DOHC 5spd
Transmission
Manual
none i was just driving on the highway

BroncoV6

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
MAF Modification

I tried cleaning the heater wire on the MAF sensor and it seemed to help. I used CRC Contact cleaner. I also noticed that the sensor was almost totally blocked off on the backside (the intake manifold side). It looked to me like the wire could not get air across it to make the computer know what the actual temp of the air flowing over the heater wire was. The cover on the back side of the MAF is aluminum so I bent the bottom part of the cover straight out so that more air could go thru the hole that the wire is in. This modification made a slight improvement in take off power and highway power. I still get the same MPG as I did before.
From what I understand the heater wire in the MAF cools slightly when air flows over it. The cooling changes the resistance of the wire and the computer uses that information to adjust the timing and/or fuel delivery to the injectors.
I can send you pics of the modification if you want.
hardyboy@hughes.net

addiman09

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.3 Liter DOHC 5spd
Transmission
Manual
yeah that would be great, im looking to get more speed, i know its zippy, but i beat a 300zx off the start and then lost due to top speed

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals