• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

new truck, new questions

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
Just bought a 2001 Cummins 4x4, I have some questions that maybe you guys could assist with.

If I wanted to do take off the muffler, leave the resonator on, and make it side exit is there some kind of back pressure required considering it doesn't have a cat?

I have a little play in the wheel, kinda delays the steering a bit. What would that be a problem of tie rods, steering box, or just steering column? How hard would it be to replace bearings myself?

What could be the problem of the cruise control now working, a fuse, a vacuum line, the steering column being f*^ked up?

Should I mix 2 stroke with No.2? It being more of a hassle is it worth doing it in the long run i.e. saving $ on injectors? What ratio should I mix it?

In the long end what would be a decent transmission or aftermarket parts added to stock transmission that would be able to haul and take 500hp? So it would preferably take a little abuse and not take a s*&t on me? Would this help at all http://www.bankspower.com/products/show/178/9

These are just the beginning, thanks for your time! :icon_cheers:

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
When a turbo is involved, the less backpressure the better.

Steering could be just about anything under the front end, get under there and start man-handling stuff.

For a strong tranny throw a 5 or 6 speed in there :thefinger:

dvsj67

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Exhaust - No big deal

As far as your steering.. start with the basics. is there any pump whine indicating aeration in the system, are there any loose components, check the condition of the fluid - perhaps it is breaking down contaminated ETC..

I dont know cruise systems very well but once again.. just go with the basics

Are you implying adding home heating oil to your truck?! IMO.. Dont.
Many people do and a lot of people will swear by it but diesels dirty themselves up enough as it is

What transmission do you currently have in the truck, is it Auto, Manual?
If its auto a lot of guys will swap out the torque converter to change the Torque/ Horsepower curve

Adding performance programmers such as Banks or Bully Dog CAN be a great investment as far as power gains and fuel economy but just remember "with great power comes great responsibility!" Actually i just really wanted to say that last part

MoToRNecK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know im beating an old thread but for steering issues with dodge look at steering gear box adjustment

Fear250r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Being an owner of an 01 Cummins, I may as well beat up an old thread too...why not, got nothing else to do...

The turbo is the back pressure, thus straight exhausts are fine.

Front end....? Replace everything, then it might be "ok".

No idea on the cruise control. Check your vac lines.

Yes, mix 2 stroke at 1/2-1oz per gallon. All diesel is now ULTRA low sulfur. When these trucks were built the injection pump (VP) was designed to run with much more sulfur than what is available now. Use a 2 stroke that has TCWA on the bottle...I believe. There's a cheap, walmart brand, 1gal, blue bottle that is good.

Stock auto, start with a vb and torque converter if you can afford it. The stock auto can't handle much more than low hp chip and maybe some small sticks, 50/75hp.

Ktmkris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
fear250r said it best, if your tranny is healthy now throw a valve body and a decent single disc converter. Don't use a 3 disc or you can start snapping shafts. Performance chip wise the vp 44 responds very well to a tst powermax and a smarty. The tst box helps up top and the smarty works good down low, or get a quadzilla which basicly does both. Before I turned up a vp truck I would put a strong lift pump on it. Lastly, you did not say if your truck is a single wheel or a dually. In my truck I have always felt like a dually had more play. Also you said something about swapping bearings. If we are speaking of wheel bearings they are super easy to swap. There are three bolts that hold the unit in. Take care

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals