• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 Reg cab/Short bed - Aluminum driveshaft?

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
I know some extended cabs had them, did any others? I haven't seen any in the junkyards or really heard about them. Just wondering if my searches are futile or they actually exist.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I mentioned it once and was told by AllanD they did not exist.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo

stx4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Do you mean specifically from a 4x4 on the driveshaft?I just bought one on ebay from a reg cab shortbed 2wd 4.0..I dont know why they wouldnt be the same.They are not that hard to find.Ford did use these especially in rust country where I am.I have seen many steel ones get so weak from rust they broke in half.I would figure this was the reason for aluminum.

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My buddy has an aluminum driveshaft in his 01 4x4 but it's ext cab. Not sure when they started putting alum in though, that's all I can say.

stx4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
They were installed sporadically from 93 on up.I dont know what rhyme or reason Ford used but they did install them.I tried to get one from my local salvage yards for awhile but they scrap them about as fast as they get them because of them being aluminum.I know alot of us with steel shafts would love to trade.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Do you mean specifically from a 4x4 on the driveshaft?I just bought one on ebay from a reg cab shortbed 2wd 4.0..I dont know why they wouldnt be the same.They are not that hard to find.Ford did use these especially in rust country where I am.I have seen many steel ones get so weak from rust they broke in half.I would figure this was the reason for aluminum.

They used the aluminum for weight and to eliminate a slip joint problem that they didn't solve anyway.

The main difference between a 2WD and a 4WD shaft would be the 4WD shaft is shorter. Can't forget about the transfer case on the back of the transmission in a 4WD.

stx4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah that would be correct.I imagine you could have one shortened like they do the steel shafts.Dont know what that would cost but I imagine cheaper than a custom made one.When I had one of those priced it was $375.The one I got on ebay was $65 so I imagine if one would have to have one shortened it wouldnt cost anywhere near that.

lucky14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was supprised to find that my 2001 had the Aluminum DS. It is a 3.0L, 5spd, 4x4 with and extra cab.

My parents have an 2003 with 3.0L, 2wd, Xcab... it has a steel DS

My 94 had a steel DS it was a 3.0L Reg cab 2wd...

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Wow.. Didn't expect to see this thread again lol.

Yeah, I just decided to find an extended cab one and have it cut down. I wanted the aluminum one mostly because I'm in the heart of the rust-belt, and my steel one is pretty flaky lol, it just so happens that it's a little lighter too.

jay jigless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
but then again aluminum is a soft metal. being that, would it not have near the strength of the steel DS? i mean i get what your saying about the weight reduction it gives and the fact that it dont rust, but if you wanted to tow something wouldnt the aluminum DS restrict your towing weight limit by at least a little?

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nothing soft or weak about an Alum. DS. Lots of the racers switch to them. Ford doesn't even list any steel shafts in their performance catalog.
Dave

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
They've got monster trucks running these carbon-fiber Driveshafts now, My old room-mates Chevy 1500 had a carbon-fiber one in it too (rear, steel up front). Withstood enough force while we were wheeling to split his front differential in half. I thought he jumped it and landed on a rock at first, but apparently it just snapped the housing in a way I'd never even heard of, he did have a good set of 35's though and that V8 ran pretty strong.

But yeah, aluminum is quite strong when it's applied correctly.

*edit to jay jigless:

well Aluminum isn't necessarily soft, it can be quite hard. Where aluminum excels is it's strength to weight ratio, to obtain the same strength as a steel part, it does need to be a bit bigger, but it will still weigh less. There's processes like Anodizing than can also harden aluminum, like a case harden, sometimes just as strong as steel or even stronger. They use it for as bushing material actually, and often the steel part wears out first :icon_surprised:

Aluminum also has a higher rate of fatiguing compared to steel, but if that's taken into design consideration, again, it's almost a moot point.

Since my Ranger is staying 4cylinder, I somehow doubt it will influence my towing limit lol. But in all seriousness, things like brakes, tires, suspension, load distribution, and good ol' fashioned patience are far, far above engine performance when towing. You can take a while to get it moving, the same can't always be said for stopping or having to pull some sort of emergency maneuver because bad drivers are attracted to those who tow.

Last edited:

desertrat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Aluminum shafts take out a lot of the "slack clang"

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals