• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Custom Gauge Panel

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am contemplating a custom gauge panel for my 95 Ranger. I am doing some layouts in Photoshop and AutoCAD to see if everything will fit first. My plan is to use Autometer Phantom series gauges on a brushed aluminum or machine turned panel. My question is: has anyone made their own panel with aftermarket gauges? If so how did you fab and wire the additional lights such as turn signals, CEL, airbag, seatbelt, etc . . .
I want to include these lights but not sure how to put them in, maybe a custom light bar at the bottom of the panel?

Ideas?

Suggestions?

Pics?

Thanks in advance

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here is a draft image of what I want to do . . .

Before you say it - yes there are 4 gas gauges and 2 speedos, I was lazy and didn't feel like importing and resizing every gauge this is just for layout and a visual reference. The background was sized to the gauge area (approx 15" x 4") and the gauges were placed on the panel in actual size to make sure they fit. I am not sure about the rear clearance though.

Last edited:

thoughtcriminal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 (until it breaks anyway)
Transmission
Manual
sexy.
for the additional lights, I see two ways of going about it.
1. (not as cool but much easier)
cut an oval hole and put in a piece of tinted glass/plastic and rig your stock lights up behind it.

2. (would look Badass, but be difficult without the right tools.)
cut the shape of the lights as you want them into the aluminum, put plastic panels in there and run leds.

or you could just be lazy, drill holes and run leds sticking out of the holes, silicone behind them, and mark them with a sharpie

edit: give me a few to 'shop up some picks. I know usually people have no idea what I'm talking about.

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I can picture those ideas, but the main question I guess would be where to wire them to? I know, the original connectors right - I hate electrical, can do it, just hate it - LOL. Will the electrical diagrams in a Haynes manual show the for the instrument panel?

Thanks thoughtcriminal . . .

thoughtcriminal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 (until it breaks anyway)
Transmission
Manual
meh, was already almost done. just put seatbelt and check engine on the second to give the idea.

as for the wiring, I would wrap masking tape around the wires and label them, that way, you don't have to remember which wire you goes to which light. then you can just cut them, splice on the new lights, and put them in their designated spot

don't know about the manual.

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Cool - that is what I was picturing, just need to come with a way of doing it LOL. I suppose a rectangle across the bottom (where the big ellipse is in #1) with lights behind it and an insert with colored icons that would indicate the appropriate light when lit. Well I have plenty of time to plan it . . . thanks again.

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here is what I am going to do, if I can get it all to fit and can get it wired up correctly. The lights will be mounted from behind with a white LED behind each icon. So what do you all think?

Yes I will move the fuel gauge closer like the rest of the small gauges - I just noticed it was off a bit . . .

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Final Layout

Ok - I know this is in the wrong thread - sorry Admin/Mods - please move if you feel necessary.

Here is my final layout - I used the instrument cluster bezel to trace an outline. Scanned that trace into Photoshop, brought in my gauges at actual size, placed them and designed idiot light pods that can be back lit with LEDs. I plan to use a Laser Printer with transparency film to print my idiot light covers, so then the lights will have something to shine through.

Let me know what you all think. All I need to do now is plan out the wiring of the lights and the sending units to the gauges.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
nice job..and i think your rpm and mph gauges are opposite:)
I like it though

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I like to be bassackwards - LOL - keeps others on their toes around me - never know what I am going to do next - LOL.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
hahahah im like that too, lol

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Hazmat that gauge panel is sweet. A few of the notification lights are a little difficult to see but maybe that's just my bad eyes. Love the design, can't wait to see it finished.

'94RangerXLT420

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
nice as hell
you could end up selling that

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hazmat that gauge panel is sweet. A few of the notification lights are a little difficult to see but maybe that's just my bad eyes. Love the design, can't wait to see it finished.
Yeah the idiot light icons are hard to see in that image, in the full size image they are ok. Plus when I put the LEDs behind them they will light up nice and bright.
If I can ever get my wiring diagrams from AHDOL I will begin planning my custom wiring harness.

This will be a definite project in progress and I will post updates as they happen - with pictures of course.

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I got my wiring harness diagram -:icon_surprised: - wow this thing is ultimately detailed. I will have no problem figuring out which wires go where.

Now I have to fab :icon_welder: the light pods to install the lights, that is why I need some old 2 1/16" gauges that are not working.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals