• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

DIY HID Projector solution

PreEminent

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Hello, I am new to the forums. I just bought a 2001 mazda b3000 DS and this is my first mod.

I purchased this hid kit off of ebay

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270405493333&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_6353wt_939

These are projectors that basically screw into a 9007 (Our Trucks) headlamp with ease. With this kit you get a real projector with excellent cutoff and high and low beams.

What you need to do is put your headlamps in the oven to heat up the glue between the clear lens and the reflector. I pre-heated the oven to 400 degree's F' and once it reached that temp i turned the oven off and waited 5 mins. I then put one headlamp in the oven for 5 mins and when I took it out I was able to separate both pieces.

DO THIS WITH DISCRETION !
Keep watch on your headlamps and make sure they don't melt or burn.

After you have the lamp separated you need to completely break off the plastic piece that covers the halogen bulb.

Next you can screw in the projector, put the clear lens back on with the sealant that comes with the kit, and put your headlamp back onto the truck.

Now comes the wiring which is very self explanatory. make sure you connect the long red wire with a fuse in it to your battery and you ground the relay.

NOTICE : This kit does not come with ballast so you will need to buy a couple off of ebay aswell. Make sure it is a standard 55w HID Ballast.

Now for Pictures.

Note - I have not aligned my lights yet so you may notice they are crossed eyed a bit.

Note - These picture do not show the awesome colour shift that these projectors give. What I mean is If you have 6000k bulbs like i used you will get very white light on the road. However from a distance your light will shine blue to observers which is something I personally like.

This is the low beam

This is the high beam

This is low beam with only the drivers light installed

I Am VERY pleased with the result especially for 100 bucks :D
I vehicles prior I had hid bulbs in the reflector housings and I tried E-codes and tried using casper shields but there is no comparison! All the light goes on the road and you do not have to worry about blinding anyone.

If you are going to put HID's in your ranger or B truck use this kit, There is kits for all different kinds of lamps so no one is excluded :)

I will get better pictures when I decide whether or not i will paint my reflectors black. And put my lenses back on.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
finally we got spammed with something useful

what do you use as a shroud and can the HID lenses be changed out with a different color HID lens or even an LED lens?

Last edited:

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think my buddy Mike put this kit on his '01 Ranger. I still have yet to see it in person....that will be the deciding factor for me.

Would you mind posting daytime pics of the projo? If it's the same kit Mike has, the projo sorta sticks way deep into the lense...deep meaning towards the front of the vehicle.

Welcome to the site and great first post!

bsquared

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
just wondering how exactly do the projectors mount to the headlight housing. Do you just slid the back of the projector through the stock hold where the bulb would be inserted and cliped in place with the plastic retaining clip that would secure a 9007 bulb to the housing? Or are there modifications to the housing besides removing the front clear shield?

I have a 2009 sport and have been looking to get a projector fo the headlights and this looks promising.

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Last edited:

Casper98

August 2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
just wondering how exactly do the projectors mount to the headlight housing. Do you just slid the back of the projector through the stock hold where the bulb would be inserted and cliped in place with the plastic retaining clip that would secure a 9007 bulb to the housing? Or are there modifications to the housing besides removing the front clear shield?

I have a 2009 sport and have been looking to get a projector fo the headlights and this looks promising.
Here's a project log of a buddy of mine that did a projector set up with the same kit. It should be the same for your 09

http://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2/f6/f82/92791-custom-hid-projector-lens-01-housing.html

Fx4wannabe01

Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
^^My buddy too. lol

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Here one that has hid in them and you don't have to mount the hid lenses and buy ballast and all you have to do is remount these headlights in place of you old one and mount the ballast and then you have hid and stock bulbs!!!!
is that an actual HID lens or a halogen projector lens pretending to be an HID lens?

I also don't like the HID being where the High Beam should be........ messes with the symmetry.

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
is that an actual HID lens or a halogen projector lens pretending to be an HID lens?

I also don't like the HID being where the High Beam should be........ messes with the symmetry.

well click on the link and yes the are real hids that come with the headlight. they are replacement all you have to do is put the headlights in and mount the ballast but it hids in low beams only and the halogens for high beams!!!!
I was going to get them but i have no job lol and i just bought stock headlights for what i could afford!!!

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
well click on the link and yes the are real hids that come with the headlight. they are replacement all you have to do is put the headlights in and mount the ballast but it hids in low beams only and the halogens for high beams!!!!
I was going to get them but i have no job lol and i just bought stock headlights for what i could afford!!!
yeah I saw that it came with HID bulbs, doesn't mean that the lens inside the projector is for HID. HID bulbs will fit in a halogen projector and just because HID bulbs will fit in a halogen projector does not mean that the halogen lens is right fir the HID bulbs.

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
yeah I saw that it came with HID bulbs, doesn't mean that the lens inside the projector is for HID. HID bulbs will fit in a halogen projector and just because HID bulbs will fit in a halogen projector does not mean that the halogen lens is right fir the HID bulbs.
they are made for hids already installed no hacking or cutting what wrong with that and a projector is projector wither its for hid or halogens11

Fx4wannabe01

Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ad linked above.....the HID's for the headlight bucket, and halogen for the projo. And no, those and many like it are JUNK for hid's. The beam pattern is sooooo off. Look around, tons of folks over at RPS has those type of projo ebay headlight housings and they project a shitty ass beam.

The real way to do it, it retro fitting a projo from some car, or doing what the OP did or what Casper linked.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
a projector is projector wither its for hid or halogens11
lens cut off is different. I would attest to that in court after having tried several cheap kits like the one you linked.

if you want a true HID set up plan on spending minimum $250 wether you buy a light housing with true HID pods in it or retrofitting HID pods into your existing headlight housings or putting an HID (or LED, apparently they need a similar cut off) lens into a cheap halogen projector pod

they are made for hids already installed no hacking or cutting what wrong with that
nothing wrong with that except cheap kits are just that.... cheap. what makes what you linked and what the op linked different is what the op linked actually requires a little work, research, and money to complete the project (gotta buy a clear housing and decent ballasts) and the pods are equipped with HID lenses.

fun fact ...... anybody know why BMW came out with those faggy angel eye rings?

for daytime running lights. HID ballasts don't like factory 3/4 daytime running light controls.

Last edited:

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
lens cut off is different. I would attest to that in court after having tried several cheap kits like the one you linked.

if you want a true HID set up plan on spending minimum $250 wether you buy a light housing with true HID pods in it or retrofitting HID pods into your existing headlight housings or putting an HID (or LED, apparently they need a similar cut off) lens into a cheap halogen projector pod

nothing wrong with that except cheap kits are just that.... cheap. what makes what you linked and what the op linked different is what the op linked actually requires a little work, research, and money to complete the project (gotta buy a clear housing and decent ballasts) and the pods are equipped with HID lenses.

fun fact ...... anybody know why BMW came out with those faggy angel eye rings?

for daytime running lights. HID ballasts don't like factory 3/4 daytime running light controls.

you can attest all you want i had friend with a ford bronco with hids in his stock housing just pass inspection through dmv with no problem and as long it says dot approved and they are properly aligned they don't care...I have friends with high end halogen bulbs that you can't tell if they where halogens or hids they are that bright and dmv says nothing to them either and now it might be different there where you live but here we do what we want and if we get a ticket than take then out and then just replaced them with really bright halogens either way the cops leave us alone...

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I love all the assholes that like to put HID bulbs into a housing that does not have an HID projector. I an so f*cking glad you like to run down the highway blinding every body you come across. If i was a cop every one of you mother f*ckers would be tickteted and re-ticketed until the problem was fixed.

As it is it wont be long until I start taking a base ball bat to those lights. Assholes like you are part of the reason I no longer want to be a truck driver.

your housing may be DOT approved but that does not mean it is DOT approved for an HID bulb. if your friends are running halogen projectors that you can't tell its not HID then chances are it is a lens with an HID cut off because halogens are fine in an HID pod but HIDs are not fine in any old crappy halogen pod (again it is the cut off that matter, not the color of the lens)

pull you head out of your ass and learn something about HID and projectors in general instead of defending a cheap ass kit because you are too lazy to do it right.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals