• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

jackstand placement.

funkingonutz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Manual
today, i brought my truck(95 Ford ranger 4x4) up to my high school's Autoshop (proud Auto 1 and 2 graduate myself) to simply get the tires rotated, so i go out there to see how they are doing and i wanted to make sure they put all the jackstands in the right places and jacked it up the right way and stuff, because ya know its my truck and there is OTHER people working on it...it makes me nervous. Anyways the rear jackstand placement was fine, but i did'nt like the way the front was sitting...they put the stands under the radius arms(i think thats what they are called) so the wheight of the truck was on these two rad. arms, i was pissed:pissedoff:. But im not sure if i have the right to be pissed, could putting jackstands in these areas bend, break, or warp the rad. arms? I looked at them after the truck was done and they look ok, not dented, or bent or anything. So i dont know, could someone tell me?

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
They're not any more susceptible to bending than your frame is, I usually put my stands right where the radius arm bolts to the beam, but putting them on the radius arm is fine.

edit: I went ahead and moved this to GD and retitled it :)

Last edited:

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Jack stands on the arms won't hurt them at all. But, be careful. As the truck is lifted by the floor jack, the suspension unloads and the arms swing down in an arc ( pivots at the radius arm bushing at the frame ). When you set the jack stand under the radius arm and lower the floor jack, you start to load the suspension and the arm will move in that arc As a result, the top of the jack stand will start to tip while the base wants to stay stationary. The same thing can happen if you try to set a car-- or truck -- with A arms onto stands. It can be very unstable when you think it's safe.

Just a matter of making sure the stands are square and stable before someone gets under the vehicle. I have stopped on the street and told complete strangers that I see crawling under their vehicle supported by a scissor jack. Sends chills down my back.

I know you didn't have any control over the placement of the stands in this case. It's just a major, major peeve of mine.

Last edited:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I never put them under there for the reason Bent Bolt stated. I put it under the axle beams or under the frame if the suspension is coming off.

samsonitesamsonite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ditto that Will, I also make it a point not to allow others to work on my truck.

du510

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
MAZDA
Transmission
Manual
I never put them under there for the reason Bent Bolt stated. I put it under the axle beams or under the frame if the suspension is coming off.

Exactly. If you just need to lift it up, throw the jacks under the beams, directly under the coils. If youre workin on the suspension, throw them on the frame just aft of the radius arm mount, and block the rear tires.

Black_Splash

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Where would the proper place be for jack stands on the rear of the truck?

samsonitesamsonite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
under the axle tubes, or if you're doing suspension work, on the frame.

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Those are the one's that make me shake my head. Why do some people risk their lives or serious injury to save a few bucks???

Potential Darwin Award winner there.

Robin Hood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I just use the frame personally.

michowski

Reaction score
at least that guy put a big rock behind the tire so it doesnt roll away on him lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals