• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Well truck is stalling again

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well after thinking I had it fixed it has started again. I replaced the ECT sensor and sender and my truck seemed like normal so I thought I had this issue fixed. Truck actually drove for a few weeks without issues or any signs of issues. Then yesterday leaving work it stalled at the end of my works parking lot. started after a few minutes then stalled again a few miles up the road when slowing down for the stop sign. after about 10 minutes it started back up and it then stalled again when I stopped at the store next to my house. later that night I started it to do some testing and it stalled and wouldn't start back up. so I called Napa and got them to reorder another engine coolant temp sensor bc I think theirs may be bad. I've had issues with their parts in the past. My plan is to replace that as well as the IAC and the ignition coil. anyone have any other ideas? My luck just will not change......

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Well after thinking I had it fixed it has started again. I replaced the ECT sensor and sender and my truck seemed like normal so I thought I had this issue fixed. Truck actually drove for a few weeks without issues or any signs of issues. Then yesterday leaving work it stalled at the end of my works parking lot. started after a few minutes then stalled again a few miles up the road when slowing down for the stop sign. after about 10 minutes it started back up and it then stalled again when I stopped at the store next to my house. later that night I started it to do some testing and it stalled and wouldn't start back up. so I called Napa and got them to reorder another engine coolant temp sensor bc I think theirs may be bad. I've had issues with their parts in the past. My plan is to replace that as well as the IAC and the ignition coil. anyone have any other ideas? My luck just will not change......
I replaced my pcv valve because of high idle symptoms with napa parts. A month later I had the same symptoms. Bought a oem pcv valve on internet and have not had a problem since. Remember just because it is new does not mean it will last no days. I have never seen a Iac stall a truck. It will either not idle when stopped or idle/hang high rpms. Did you listen for the fuel pump running like last time?

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
I may not know much.. but a temp sensor stalls the engine? I'm having temp problems on mine (not warming up) but it still runs. but has gone into limp mode.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I may not know much.. but a temp sensor stalls the engine? I'm having temp problems on mine (not warming up) but it still runs. but has gone into limp mode.
Yes a temp sensor does stall the truck by flooding it. Mine did the same thing. I have never seen a idle air control stall our trucks running down the road.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
An IAC only function is to keep it idleing.

It will not make the truck stall once the throttle is on.

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
An IAC only function is to keep it idleing.

It will not make the truck stall once the throttle is on.
It only stalls when truck goes to idle. Like when I let off the gas to brake for a stop or just letting off the gas in general. I had to get home by driving with overdrive off and sometime in second gear to keep the rpms up. I did notice that on my way from my work to Napa that my coolant was extremely hot. This is only a 3 minute drive through the city. Probably only a mile if that. Truck was cold (cooler at least) because it hadn't run since 6 hours before hand. So I was going to change the thermostat at the same time but didn't have a 6 point 10mm on me. Got home (after stalling 5 times) and changed the thermostat and it seems better. truck drove to work today but it has never stalled in the mornings. only after work when its warmer out. So what I'm getting at is could a bad t stat be the culprit? It was pretty ugly and the jiggler wasn't working like the new one.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
It only stalls when truck goes to idle. Like when I let off the gas to brake for a stop or just letting off the gas in general.
Did you ever replace the iac? If it starts right back up after it stalls then that sounds like an iac problem. Once the engine warms up and the computer is out of warm up mode it will drop the idle. If the iac is faulty and telling the computer it is closed and it is 40% open then the computer will compensate and idle the engine lower. This may be causing the stalling at idle. If you had a vacuum leak normally it will cause a high idle.

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have an IAC on order which should be here in a few days and an ignition coil on order. I've been cleaning the IAC with brake cleaner and stuff. I replaced the thermostat and truck has not stalled yet. knock on wood. it has never stalled on my way to work since its still chilly out. only had stalling issues when it was warmer out. Motor and coolant would be hot as hell after a couple minutes. Gauge would read normal. I replace both the temp sensor and the temp sender so those should be fine. Could a bad thermostat do this?

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I have an IAC on order which should be here in a few days and an ignition coil on order. I've been cleaning the IAC with brake cleaner and stuff. I replaced the thermostat and truck has not stalled yet. knock on wood. it has never stalled on my way to work since its still chilly out. only had stalling issues when it was warmer out. Motor and coolant would be hot as hell after a couple minutes. Gauge would read normal. I replace both the temp sensor and the temp sender so those should be fine. Could a bad thermostat do this?
My moms 99 3.0 thermostat was stuck open and it stayed on c and never moved. No ill effects from it other than heater being warm. I have never seen a thermostat stall an engine and really do not think it ever would IMO. Sometimes cleaning the iac never helps and buying a new one is just what you have to do. I would order a name brand iac because the cheap ones never idle right and do not last.

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So truck is still stalling. It only stalls in the heat of the day. Only code I have is a P0455 for a large leak on evap system. When I was stalled on the side of the road I was talking to a guy outside and said it could be fuel line vapor lock. He said his dodge was doing the same thing and he put a wooden clothespin on it and it has been fine ever since. Anyone know if this code would cause the truck to stall when warm? I need to get this fixed. This makes 17 times the truck has stalled on me in the past few weeks.

planeflyer21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Vapor lock sure used to kill my '77 Dodge. As soon as it was over 90°F and I had lots of driving to do.

The issue with mine was the fuel line crossing the head to the carb. I could've fixed it with a plastic riser block between the carb and intake manifold, which would've lifted the fuel line enough to keep it clear of the heat.

Maybe you can find something similar.

Big'Un

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ram
Engine Size
5.7 Hemi
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
$hit Happens
Sounds like you need a new fuel filter....unless you've changed it recently.

Jerlaine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've had a similar issue myself. Have replaced the IAC 3 times, the last 2 proving good on my explorer. It isn't my fuel filter because that's also new.

At this point pretty sure it's the fuel pressure regulator onine at this point as it acts like it's vapor locked when there's any heat outside

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well I've narrowed it down to a wiring issue somewhere within the wiring for the #27 fuse. This is always blown and when I replace it, that is when I have stalling issues. So this fuse controls the o/d, trans shifting, reverse lights and probably a few other things. So I checked the common o/d wire in the shroud and it did have some slight chaffing but there wasn't any wires exposed. So I wrapped it in a fair amount of electrical tape for good measure. Next step is to go through in-line plug connectors and clean those while checking for wiring faults. I have drove my truck for 2 weeks without stalling but I know that if I put in a new fuse for the #27 that it will start stalling. Fuel filter will be replaced soon. I got to replace my filler neck first. That actually fell off the other day and I made a big splash when I went to put gas in lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals